• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m38a1 '52 front floor pan

lmgoldstein

I'm contemplating changing out my floor pan. Mine is pretty well rusted out. Has anybody ever done this? Does the tub have to be removed completely first or can it be done with it connected to the frame? Can it be cut from the inside and the new one put right in place? What type of welding equipment is needed? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also, I bypassed the light control switch for the panel lights. I wired in single pole switch. Works fine.

Last edited:

zout

Question 1 - YES
Question 2 - has to be removed and flipped over
Question 3 - NO
Question 4 - small body shop mig welder - grinder and various other metal working tools.

Not only after you get the tub removed and flipped over to access the entire bottom side - there are what is called hat channels that are spot welded to the floorpans as well that need to be removed and re-welded exactly back in the same position on the reverse side of the rebuild.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Zout said it all but I'll add that removing the tubs is really easy and will allow you to properly repair and paint the tub and the paint on the frame will be much nicer.