• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38a1 fender & grill removal help/advice?

pockersUK

Doing some restoration work on my m38a1 and am looking to take the fenders (wings) & grill off -
Not too sure how to remove them
Any one give me hints / tips on how to doit ?

Seen lots of pics of this having bin done but jst not sure where to start
Is it just a case of un bolting them?

Any help gratefully recieved
:)

Pockers(uk)

AaronHorrocks

Disconnect any electrical components that are mounted on fender.
Loosen bolts between grill and fender.
Remove bolts connecting fender from body tub.
Remove fender.

Loosen large main through bolt on bottom center of grill (if in place).
loosen and disconnect grill mounting rods (2 large rods that connect to tub).
Drain radiator.
Disconnect Radiator hoses.
Swing grill forward (if hinged)
Remove grill.

mutt1966

You dont have to drain the radiator just take out the four (4) bolts that hold it to the grille if hinged the fenders will also be bolted too the frame follow the hat channel under the fender

quickfarms

wd40 in the spray cans works great.

spray the bolts for several days before you want to unbolt the parts.

take your time and do not rush it or you will probably break bolts.

JGBallew

One I have in the shop-
The fine thread bolts attaching the fenders to the frame were the only ones that fought, a zap of PB once they were started then a cup of coffee while it worked, did the trick.

Attachments

pockersUK

Thanks guy - will be looking to remove them in the next week or so - will let ypu know how i get on

Main concern was whether i had to remove the radiator itself , but think thats been adequetly answered by mutt1966 and confirmed by the pic posted by JGBellew

Also now have a copy of the TM so that should help

Will keep you posted

pockersUK

Thanks guy - will be looking to remove them in the next week or so - will let ypu know how i get on

Main concern was whether i had to remove the radiator itself , but think thats been adequetly answered by mutt1966 and confirmed by the pic posted by JGBellew

Also now have a copy of the TM so that should help

Will keep you posted

pockersUK

Ok so now i finally have time to start removing the fenders i have encountered another problem

Exhaust manifold gasket leaking!
such a silmple process has been a nightmare
have sourced correct gaskets and have the right pages in the tm, new brass nuts, cleaned up the block and the manifold
(now a new manifold as the original cracked whilst torquing up the nuts)
so far i have tried to refit the manifold 4 times. The 1st the manifold cracked, 2nd time it leaked from ports 2&3, 3rd rebuilt it using hi temp silicone again leaked 4th still leaking
have always cleaned up the surfaces each time,
have checkd theblock with a straight edge and the manifold both are true
Gaskets for port 1&4 have the locator rings on them however this appears to make them 50% thicker than the middle gasket for ports2&3

Any one else suffered the same problems ? And have a solution?

pockersUK

Ok so now ive thetime to take off the fenders remove the underseal and weld in some patches repaint and sort out the paint on the grill

Today have loosened all the nuts securing the fender to body and radiator to my surprise none were seized ( one a little tricky but with a little "encouragment" got it free

Next to disconnect the electrics then they can come off - will update post with pics as requested