• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 fuel sending unit

dodjh

My '53' A1's fuel tank sending unit collar, has to be re-installed. I was in the process of replacing the sending unit and noticed the mounting collar was cocked and not flat.

I was able to remove it but know need to re-install it. The tank is drained of fuel....what is the simplest method to attach it back to the tank and not have leaks or fumes? Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say just under the ring. Btw, I base this JB Weld recommendation based on repairs I did on the bottom of a M715 gas tank long ago.

dodjh

I would say just under the ring. Btw, I base this JB Weld recommendation based on repairs I did on the bottom of a M715 gas tank long ago.
Alright, I wasn't sure and didn't want it to get in the screw holes for the sending unit.

If you used it on the bottom of a tank, I shouldn't have any problems w/ this since it's on the topside. (providing I clean everything well)

Thank you for the replies NDT.

dodjh

Alright, I wasn't sure and didn't want it to get in the screw holes for the sending unit.

If you used it on the bottom of a tank, I shouldn't have any problems w/ this since it's on the topside. (providing I clean everything well)

Thank you for the replies NDT.
[/QUOTE

The JB weld held fine for the sending unit collar....tank is back in and hooking up new fuel gauge.

I have the sending unit top scew connected to the 's' on the F. ga. and a ground wire from one of the five sending unit screws to a space on the floor between the two seats.

Is that enough of a ground for the tank ground purpose?

I was planning to connect '+' on gauge to one of the acc. terminals on the ignition switch. Will the '-' side of gauge need to be grounded? Thanks

dodjh

The JB weld worked fine on the sending unit collar....tank is back in and I'm working on installing and hooking up the new fuel gauge.

I have a wire from the top screw on sending unit to the 's' stud on the F. gauge. For a ground, I have a wire running from one of the five sending unit screws to the tunnel (hump) between the front two seats. Is this an adequate enough ground for possible fuel tank grounding issues for the F. gauge?

I plan to run a wire from the '+' stud to the ignition switch acc. position. Will I also need to run another wire from the '-' F. gauge stud to another ground location? Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks