• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 Harness for Civilian Jeep

plym49

I hope that this post is not off topic for this forum.

My DD is a 1990 civilian YJ Jeep. The stock lighting wiring harness is showing its age as well as indignities wrought by prior owners. I am a bug about good wiring; this 20-year old wiring is just not aging well, and on its best day it was not as durable and water-resistant as a military-spec harness.

I look at the harness and connectors on my 40-year old Deuce, and my Jeep is hopelessly behind. And so an idea formed, and as I am not an expert on the M38 vehicles, I thought I would poll you experts on whether it might be feasible.

I am thinking about using the wiring harness for an M38 series for my lights. This would include the use of military connectors. I would replace my taillights with military units. I would install the correct military three lever light switch. I would either retain the stock front parking lights, adding military connectors, or replace them with military units. I would wire into the dash lights, and I would retain the blackout lights.

It is no problem for me to wire this in to the vehicles remaining electrical system. This is a carb'd vehicle; in any event I am proficient with vehicle wiring.

My biggest question is whether the M38-series harness will reach to the four corners of my YJ Jeep. It would not make sense for me to do this if I had to lengthen the harness. If the M38 harness is a little long in places, I can neatly dress the extra length easily enough.

I assume that the M38 is the closest dimension-wise to the tub of my YJ. If that is an incorrect assumption, then what would be the correct military vehicle to use as a donor?

BTW, I expect that I can purchase a NOS or repro harness. I would not really want to strip the harness out of an extant vehicle.

Opinions. please. Thanks in advance.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOS harnesses are not available, and repro ones are like over $400, and use the older style metal shell connectors, and do not have turn signals. You have a good idea though. Buy some bulk mil wire and the connectors and make up your own harness exactly to what you need.

plym49

NOS harnesses are not available, and repro ones are like over $400, and use the older style metal shell connectors, and do not have turn signals. You have a good idea though. Buy some bulk mil wire and the connectors and make up your own harness exactly to what you need.
The cost I can justify if it eliminates the time for wiring for a custom harness - the rule of thumb is one hour per circuit. I was also looking forward to just plugging everything in to the back of the three-lever switch. The metal shell connectors are not as compelling to me as the rubber version.

Should I be thinking about a different MV vehicle to use as a donor? M151 (would have turn signals, is that correct?)? I could use a Deuce harness but there would be an awful lot of snip-snip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks