• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38a1 loss of power backfiring

Leigh H

I’m very new to these engines,1953 Jeep it’s had a rebuilt carb and fuel pump , started up after 6/7 months lay off , on starting engine ticking over ok , taken for a drive but after about a few minutes Sudden loss of power and very bad backfiring , stopped at the side of the road then won’t start again and had To tow it home , any ideas where to start please Many thanksm38

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carburetor flooding sounds like. Float needle gets stuck open with trash in the fuel line. Mine used to do that until I rebuilt the fuel system end to end.

cobra5

Check the inside of your distributor cap, rotor and points. If they look good and your points aren't worn or corroded, check the gap on the points and reset if needed. Put it all back together and see if it starts. If it doesn't, pull a spark plug and check for spark. If no spark than its either the coil or condenser.

jnissen

Any resolution on this? If you let ethanol fuel sit in the Jeep it’s hydroscopic (absorbs water) so it can ruin a fuel system in short time. Sounds like you could have a fuel issue or ignition.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks