• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38a1 Oil and Fluids

jeeplvr247

I am looking at replacing most of the fluids in my jeep before I attempt a long trip up north. My TM's all show old types of oil and lube that are not produced any more. What are most of you guys using for the engine. transmission, transfer case, and diffs. Also does anyone have a good source for rear wheel bearings?

Beacher425

There had been lots of discussion on fluids on other forums. here is what I use in my M38A1:

Steering box: 140w gear oil
Engine: Rotella T straight 30w
Trans: Redline MT-90 or Royal Purple MaxGear (must be safe for "soft yellow metals"
Transfer: Same as above
Diffs: 90w hypoid gear oil

Don't forget to oil your distributor with a small drop in the center.

Rear wheel bearings I believe are part number 706857 or Kaiser Willys 52800.
Lots of suppliers have them. Try Rapco or CSE Offroad among the others.

I have no local supplier fo the MT-90 so I order from Amazon.com

jeeplvr247

Thanks. I have not been able to spend too much time on the other forums because of my busy schedule. It is good to bring info like this to SS though, it seems like we are a little light on some of the M38A1 stuff. One more question, can you get all of the seals for the diffs and transfer case through local parts stores or is there a difference between the military dana axels and the civi's?

mikes47jeep

i get most my oils at NAPA
i get their off the shelf

80w-90 for the trans/transfer and rears

and 10W-30 for the engine

on these old machines it dosent seem to matter too much, because its way better lube than they would have had back in the day

on an other note i have used rotella 15w-40 diesel oil in my jeeps as well they like it just fine

jeeplvr247

From what I have seen it looks like the civi parts for the hubs will work but I just want to make sure I don't get everything torn apart just to not have the right parts on hand. I have a feeling it has been a very long time since anyone has been in this hub so it could be fun getting apart.

jeeplvr247

I went to get my gear oil today and quickly discovered that everything is GL5. I don't want to mess up my jeep but I cannot find GL4 for the life of me. I did see a GL1 gear oil, would that work OK in the trans, transfer case, and diffs?

wilfreeman

For some reason, nobody serviced the front ales on these things! It's not really a hard or expensive job either. I'd much rather clean and grease them than have to replace the bearings!

jeeplvr247

Does the GL1 offer an acceptable level of protection or do I need to wait to find GL4? I want to so it right so I don't have to replace anything

jeeplvr247

That is helpful but it did not really say if GL1 will work or not. I will probably go with the NAPA GL1 for the trans and transfer case. GL5 is fine for the diffs right? I have not seen anything about them having yellow metal.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks