• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 Restoration

Al Harvey

Well first off I've been a member for a short period of time but this is my first posting on here. I usually don't join too many forums but after reading through the vast amounts of information and the support of members, I figured I'd go ahead and jump in. Hoping to be able to go to some of the rallies since I don't run into too many other MV enthusiast around my area.

After all that, this is a 53 M38A1 I bought in many pieces. I've found its a bit more difficult to figure out what all goes where but the information on SS is amazing. As of right now I have the frame and diffs done. Just got the motor back from a complete rebuild and will be cleaning the trans and transfer next, then mate them to the frame.

Attachments

wilfreeman

Thats a good start! Mate 'em up and take her for a test drive - no body needed! Another good forum to join is willysmjeeps - dedicated to m series jeeps.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site, the axles and frame look great!

willfreeman is right-www.willysmjeeps.com is a great resource.

The M38A1 is my favorite Jeep.

You should come down to the Ga Rally in October (see link below for info).

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Al, I forgot to ask this last night, but is that CARC on your tub? If so, that Jeep must have been one of the last ones to get surplussed. I thought most of the A1's were gone from even Guard and Reserve units by the mid-Eighties.

2nd that clinto! We need more m38a1 guys there! BTW, how are you coming along on yours?
I ended up selling it to a friend of mine. My original plan was to get it running well enough that I could bounce around town and at rallies in it, because I missed our first one so much. But once I got it home and started cataloging everything it was going to need just get it operable, I realized it was more of a full blown restoration than a repair and operate deal. My buddy (who's here on the site, he can chime in if he wants) had expressed interest in it, so he got it. It's in his barn now, behind his other M38A1.

I want another one, but it's not in the budget right now and I have zero free time with my frame-off Deuce resto and all the other deuces.

When I find a good deal on one, I will try and move on it. Really regret selling our '55.

Al Harvey

I hadn't really thought about it but it does seem appear to be CARC on the tub. That would indicate a NG "old timer" that wouldn't retire. lol I know when I got to my NG Trans unit in 2007, we still had 2 M151A2s in the motorpool. They were "demilled" by the distributor and carb being hit with a hammer. The state then took them to headquarters and grass is growing around them. I tried everything I could to get them but no luck. :(

I am really looking into going to the GA rally this year but I doubt the M38A1 will be ready by then but I'm trying to decide what to bring the duece, the M151A2, Mule, or maybe all of it..... Wonder if a M151a2 and Mule would fit in the back of a duece???

wilfreeman

I hate to hear that clinto - maybe somebody else will bring one this year besides me and zout. There was an m151 on the trails, along with tigger's cj2a and oddball's cj5. Another m151 would help out with the smaller vehicle #s.

WRMorrison

Looks like you're off to a great start! I saw a RUST-FREE tub/fenders/etc. for an 'A1 local to me that was for sale pretty cheap (in my opinion). It was at a metal scrapper waiting about a month or so ago. :( It's too bad I'm not wealthy enough to save them all...

But I gotta say, your tub/frame seems to be in excellent shape for being in TN!

-WRM

Al Harvey

I know that feeling too well. I see so many that I want to save but the funds just don't spread out far enough. That and the people you run into that think their field find (rusted out) is worth the price of a restored one.

wilfreeman

That tub would be perfect for my spare jeep - needs rust repair on the tub, but the chassis is still fairly complete, but AZ is too far.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I hadn't really thought about it but it does seem appear to be CARC on the tub. That would indicate a NG "old timer" that wouldn't retire. lol I know when I got to my NG Trans unit in 2007, we still had 2 M151A2s in the motorpool. They were "demilled" by the distributor and carb being hit with a hammer. The state then took them to headquarters and grass is growing around them. I tried everything I could to get them but no luck. :sad:

I am really looking into going to the GA rally this year but I doubt the M38A1 will be ready by then but I'm trying to decide what to bring the duece, the M151A2, Mule, or maybe all of it..... Wonder if a M151a2 and Mule would fit in the back of a duece???
Our '55 had a Red River Army Depot rebuild tag on the fuel pump from '73, but otherwise I had no clue how long it was in. I was behind several other civilian owners so I never found out when it got out.

You won't get a Mule and a 151 in the deuce bed. One or the other. Put the 151 in the bed and the mule in an M105. 105 is a perfect mule hauler. You definitely need to come down-it's worth the drive. We had 106+ military vehicles in 2012, over 150 if you count trailers. Swap meet, trailrides, the whole thing. Very good event.

IMG_1541.jpgIMG_0389.JPGIMG_1540.jpg

I hate to hear that clinto - maybe somebody else will bring one this year besides me and zout. There was an m151 on the trails, along with tigger's cj2a and oddball's cj5. Another m151 would help out with the smaller vehicle #s.
I'll get another one. Just have to have the $$$ when the right one shows up. MV's are like dogs-you never know when one is going to adopt you.

Last edited:

Al Harvey

Got the engine back and ready for paint. Now I'm working on getting the transmission cleaned and painted. Gotta get funds up so I can order seals, gaskets, clutch, mounts, etc. Then get it mounted to the frame.

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What are your ramps made from? Could you post a closer picture of them?
Southern Yellow Pine. I'll have to get them out of the trailer, but I'll get some pictures of them this weekend.

Another Ahab

Southern Yellow Pine. I'll have to get them out of the trailer, but I'll get some pictures of them this weekend.
Nice item. How deep are the boards; I mean, is that 2x stock or dimensional stuff?

And did you route them out to leave the "lips" (port and starboard)? Nice detail.

Al Harvey

Okay it's been awhile since I've actually done anymore work on the M38A1. It's amazing how time flies by and then you realize what you thought you put off for a week or two has almost become a year. Got the motor and trans painted yesterday. Gonna let them dry for a couple of days then get them mounted to the frame. Too many projects and not enough time or funds.

IMG_2431.jpgIMG_2430.jpgIMG_2432.jpg

Al Harvey

Well I started looking at all my projects in line and finally realized I have to stop taking on more til some get done. Lately I've been half tempted to hire someone to help, but then again finding good TRUSTWORTHY help is hard now a days. As for the engine, I thought about building it myself, but I decided to go and pay for someone else (who really knows what they're doing) to build it for me. Though it did cost more then I hoped, but he did replace most everything in it. The cam was scored bad where the fuel pump mounted, but other then that he said it probably would have started up. I prefer the ounce of prevention route on most things though.

Al Harvey

Well I decided to mount the motor and trans today and get them on the frame. But I just realized my motor mounts don't fit the frame right. The V on the bottom of them is too deep and they won't sit flush. I'm wondering now, are these CJ5 motor mounts? I did find one thread where I believe the owner used his old lower plate. Now I'm thinking I just need to drill out the welds and put my old plates on the new mounts. This is a little disappointing since I ordered them for a M38A1 from a good supplier.

IMG_2447.jpgIMG_2445.jpgIMG_2446.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks