• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m38a1 runs idles then dies on acceleration

macibell111

my m38a1 used to run great ,it has a new engine rebuild new fuel tank .new lines . pick up tube with new filter rebuilt carb.ran great until today.the switch was left on overnight.i charged the batteries and got it running then it quit and have trouble starting and keeping it running. the points have been burned from keeping the ignition switch on.it idles fine but sputters on acceleration and then dies and wont start.until it sits for a while .any clues of where to start.it ran fine until i left on the ignition switch.help thanks jack

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start with new points and condenser. If that does not fix it, replace the coil with a NOS unit even if it is used or old. Don't buy a new shiny chinese coil.

macibell111

I filed down the point a bit nothing else. Runs a little bit better. Question is can I get the points and condenser from NAPA Auto Parts. Do they have to be 24 volt parts. As you can see I am NOT a mechanic just muddling through thanks for the help

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the points and condenser are standard parts, tell them you have a '65 CJ-5 with 4 cylinder.

macibell111

i started with the condensor and the jeep starts up and runs alot better.but still has a hesitation or miss .the coil i tested has a 11.9 ohms on the primary and 9,500 on the secondary.shouldnt the primary be around 1.2 or just above zero not 11.9.i checked it on the 200 scale .i tried a 6 volt coil and got a primary of 1.2 .i ordered a new 24 volt coil from kaiser willys today.with points and cap. i am guessing my coil is also bad any input .?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks