• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m38a1 starts hard when warm

gspatton3

:-(I just rebuilt my M38A1 it has new fuel pump and rebuilt carb. When cold it starts great and idles and runs prefect but when it is shut off and restarted it cranks way to long before it starts again. Any tips? timing was do0ne by ear. Thanks KG

wilfreeman

I es going to suggest timing before I read the last sentence. Also check your points. Does it have new points/condensor? How does your spark look? Does it smell like it was flooded when it finally starts?

Mine did the same thing after a drive. I finally narrowed it down to the timing. Timed it with a 12v timing light and a waterproof wire adapter. You can also use a regular spark plug wire that fits snugly in the dist cap and a regular plug. You might need to go up to 10°btdc or so with todays gas. You could also time it with a vacuum gauge - go for highest vacuum.

Al Harvey

Don't know if this would affect the M38A1 but I was helping my grandfather with his 48 coupe it was doing the same thing. Problem ended up being low voltage to the coil. Started fine cold but when warm it didn't like to start. Just something else to check.

gspatton3

I haven't timed it with a light but will try that points and condenser are new as is the coil. The carb doesn't flood it seems like it's not getting gas after it is shut off and tries to get restarted. It does have an inline fuel filter with the squeeze type clamps could be air coming in there but see no fuel leaks KG

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Move the fuel line AWAY from the engine, sounds like maybe vapor lock, I understand the the m37 was prone to this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks