• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 Therapy Build with Pictures

Bravo2Uniform

I was very close to my Father, who died earlier this year. We had talked a lot about his Marine Corps days just prior to his death. Among the many stories he told, was that as a senior NCO, he once had a brand new 1953 M38A1 assigned to him. This was a big deal in the USMC of the '40's and '50's - usually the Marines got hand me down equipment and, as he told me, they wouldn't operate a piece of equipment if it wasn't leaking hydraulic fluid! I would call my Dad several times a week and ask him questions from the sublime to the ridiculous; it might be how to remove glow plugs from my CUCV or a question about business ethics. As I said, we were close. After he died, although I knew the end was near, I was bereft. He was my last living parent and my anchor.

A few months after his death I ran across a 1953 M38A1 that someone had begun restoring but they ran out of money. On more than a tiny impulse, I bought it. I had been going to buy my son and myself a 4 seat all terrain vehicle - which retails for about $ 15,000 - so I justified the Willys purchase as being much, much cheaper than an ATV, even when restored. My goal is to build it into a hybrid - mostly original, but with disc brakes, a winch, etc. I want my son and I to be able to use it around the farm like an ATV - but an ATV with some character (like my Dad). After all, this one had been converted to 12v - so later on in life I'm going to restore one to completely OEM. This is my learning one

What I have discovered working on the M38A1 is that it is expensive - but cheaper and more fun than therapy. I work on it and think, "I wonder if Dad would know how to fix this..." or "I'd bet Dad would find that funny!" This work has really brought me closer to being at peace with his death. As the title indicates, this is a therapy rebuild. Anyway, every time I look at the cost spreadsheet, I tell myself this is about my Dad, my son, and me - not about the tons of money it's costing me.

I am completely rebuilding the steering system and doing a minor rebuild on the transmission and transfer case. I didn't have the room or skill to do a frame - off rebuild, but now that I'm hip deep in it, I really wish I'd just figured out a way to pull the tub off.

Now for the part you've been waiting for - pictures! I will post more over the months as this project moves along. Also, I can't figure out how to caption them, so you'll just have to guess what's going on!

!Before - Before it all beganWow, this is a little worse than I expected! - Wow, this is a little worse than I expected! I expected some issues with a 63 year old vehicle...but was this ever greased properly?Skittles doesn't like the welding machine in the living room - Skittles, the cat,  doesn't like the welding machine in her living room.Parts Order - I gave the UPS man a hernia - I gave the UPS man a hernia - and the folks at Kaiser Willys are going to have a GREAT Christmas!D'OH! You can't just bondo over rust... - Yep, bondo over rust is not a winning combination.This has got to go - this isn't a '67 Chevelle! - Wow.  How could you do  that to a war veteran?Removing rusted panels and non - OEM stuff - Geting rid of the rust courtesy of my plasma cutter.Should have done a frame - off rebuild - Should have done a frame - off rebuildYou can tell a man is single when he takes apart an axle in his living room - You can tell a man is single when he takes apart an axle in his living room.Now we're getting down to the real vehicle! - Now we're getting down to the real vehicle!

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This will be fun, and something to share with your son. Good Luck with the restoration.

armytruck63

That stuff in the front knuckle looks like the caramel apple dipping sauce from a kids meal at McDonalds.

Your cat will soon have lots of boxes to play in!

Last edited:

Al Harvey

Looks good, I love the parts in the living room. Frame offs are nice, but they are easy to let get side tracked. Mine is still sitting after putting the motor and trans back on the frame. :( I think your dad would happy with the project, keep us updated!!!

Dieseljeeper

Looks good, with the lack of back panel and rear floor, hat channel it will be a lot easier to do with the body off and upside down. Sorry about losing your dad, bet he's smiling down on your project as we speak

Bravo2Uniform

Tonight's work was a trial of my patience. I tried and tried to remove the steering wheel. I ended up breaking the $ 90.00 steering wheel puller, repairing it, and then heating the steering wheel nut to red hot and still could not pull it off. My Dad would say, in times of my intransigence, "Do something, even it's wrong!" So I did. I whipped out the 4" grinder and cutting disk...leading to the late night purchase of a new worm gear and shaft from Walck's. I guess you gotta break a few eggs to make a Willys omelet. I then pulled and de-greased the Ross steering gear housing. The shortest path between two points, he'd say at football practice, "IS A STRAIGHT LINE!" Tonight we had to do a little of that running back stuff and go on a less than straight line.

DSC_6225.jpgDSC_6261.jpgDSC_6239.jpg

armytruck63

HB2.jpgJeep and trucks at Baldwin Mine.jpgM38A1 Baldwin Mine.jpgI love big trucks, but I love my M38A1 too. In fact, I've loved them since I was a kid. You'll have a great jeep when your finished with the restoration!

Bravo2Uniform

I love my M38A1 too. In fact, I've loved them since I was a kid. You'll have a great jeep when your finished with the restoration!
Thanks for the boost, this is sure sometimes depressing! I pulled the radiator off so I can replace the bell crank and then cracked open the gear box - yuck!

DSC_6297.jpgDSC_6295.jpgDSC_6298.jpg

Bravo2Uniform

Update - stalled out waiting on parts. I tried to order everything but I missed a few small pieces and I've found a few bad parts when I get systems broken down. I needed but I am also considering buying the entire floor plan assembly instead of trying to weld so much stuff. We'll see, I am wanting a quality project and my welding is more like "spattering".

However, I did the transmission cleaned up before I install the overdrive and some new seals.

Pretty nasty! Sorry, no after picture.

DSC_6350.jpg

Saberr

Nice to hear the progress. Yay, right there with you, there is always 1 part, or bolt your missing after ordering things. Like you i'm debating buying some flooring as well, im not that great of a welder either. Would suggest you see if you can find a metal fab shop around and bring in old things. They can make it for way less than ordering online.

Bravo2Uniform

Update - 1 DEC 15

Rebuild is not going exactly well. Get rolling on something and then find yet another issue and have to wait on parts. I have about 6 assemblies apart and none completed. Couldn't find a sector shaft with the correct 2" on center studs, so off the the world's slowest machine shop to have the studs on the old sector shaft rotated.

But not all is bad. Transfer case and transmission rebuild are 95% complete and parts for my missing emergency brake have arrived. And most importantly, I am enjoying the work a great deal.

Gotta love the paint from QTM (Quarter Ton and Military) in Chickamauga, GA. The color is "Dark Forest" in semi gloss enamel (Rapco # 24052). The enamel fills the voids and gives the vehicle just a hint of shine. Excellent quality paint.

DSCN0410.jpgDSCN0416.jpg

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, I hadn't read this one yet. Great project, great tribute, and some great work. Even more fun ahead for you. It looks like you've figured out a good project. The small parts are always killer. Look forward to seeing more progress.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks