• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 YS 950S Carb Doesn't Fit

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DeetFreek, another thing I don't have is a bridge plate, I'll have to scrounge one up down the road. By the way, where do they mount on an M38A1? Tomorrow I have a couple of errands to run, and then I need to form my gas line from the fuel pump to the carburetor, and then crank her over and see how she runs. I noticed your post at the bottom of your picture. I think just about everything I own is a work in progress. rofl

DeetFreek

DeetFreek, another thing I don't have is a bridge plate, I'll have to scrounge one up down the road. By the way, where do they mount on an M38A1? Tomorrow I have a couple of errands to run, and then I need to form my gas line from the fuel pump to the carburetor, and then crank her over and see how she runs. I noticed your post at the bottom of your picture. I think just about everything I own is a work in progress. rofl
Right on the grille. Two bolts through the plate into the retainer which sandwiches it to the grille bars.
20200801_205017.jpg20200811_205929.jpg
First pic is a week-ish ago, pre-paint. Second pic is from tonight, freshly shot with Catepillar yellow.

Tomorrow I want to be working on my rear light wiring, brake light switch and hi/lo beam.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1953 M38A1.JPG My Dec. 1953 M38A1, just before going in the garage last month for surgery. My original tool box door was rusted around the edges and the latch was missing, so the door rattled constantly when driving. I picked up a couple good doors at one of our MVCC meets, and problem solved. As you can see my jumper cable bucket right below the battery box door is missing. A previous owner welded a cover over it then cut off the back side. I scrounged up a couple of buckets that had been cut off some junk bodies, and I'll get a good body & fender man to fix it, and a couple other rough spots.

Last edited:

DeetFreek

I got pretty lucky with the condition of my entire vehicle. There were only two spots that needed attention. A very small spot on the driver's side and a huge area on the passenger side floorboard/cowl brace. Frame is good, body is good, beat to snot but good nonetheless.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also need a hood. Mine has some bondo in the front, and then another previous owner welded in the plug on the right hand side, that covers the hole for the snorkel for the fording kit. Your hood still looks good.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2567.JPG Almost ready to go. Just need to shorten the flex hose between the air cleaner & fording valve. I'm also going to the hotter 2245 spark plugs, from the 2243 plugs. I think down the road I'm going to convert to the CJ5 cap, rotor, wires and spark plugs. These resistor spark plugs are becoming difficult to find and expensive. During my latest search the cheapest I found them was $30 per plug, that's $120+Shipping for a set of 4. I remember not to long ago they were $6.00 per plug.

Last edited:

DeetFreek

These resistor spark plugs are becoming difficult to find and expensive. During my latest search the cheapest I found them was $30 per plug, that's $120+Shipping for a set of 4. I remember not to long ago they were $6.00 per plug.
That's why I never switched back to 24V! Too pricey for me. I'm not a purist so it doesn't bother me to mismatch my ride.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2568.JPGDSCF2569.JPG It's alive. Seems to run just fine going through the gears, although I need to work on the idle a little. Now that I have a real breather system hooked up, I'm not loosing oil out the rear main seal anymore. Downside, my speedo stopped working, so I'll get into that tomorrow. Last but not least, I ordered a new 27 3/4" long choke cable for the YS950 carburetor, the one I have for the YF carburetor is 23" and to short. To be continued.

DeetFreek

Yay! Congrats on bringing it back ;)

I fought all afternoon on chasing a wiring issue. Come to find out, I'd apparently severed a wire in the dash at some point in the last few months.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks