• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m38a1

Navigator

Hi Everyone,
I purchased a 1967 m38a1 about 6 months ago. It is quite ironic. Iwas not a jeep fan by no means,however my son has been for years. He is currently rebuilding a 1984 .He is rebuilding it for road and off road with lift kits and parts that i do not even know what they do. Anyway not to burden everyone , Iwanted to have something in common so we could bond a little more. I must say I'M IN LOVE WITH THE JEEP! It certainly grew on me.
So far I have replaced all the brake parts , the usual wheel cylinders,shoes ,flex lines, brake lines, master cylinder and all brass fittings.
It was great, seeing what I had done, until I filled the master with dot #5 brake fluid. Leaks everywhere.But managed to get it back in control except for two lines. Both come off the master cylinder,one to the front and one to the rear. I have gone from making new lines to purchasing pre made lines,but no luck. They both leak about a drop of fluid every two hours. I'm at a loss as to how I can correct this problem.
My second issue is starting my jeep.It has all the original 24 volt system etc. The only wire that I think has been changed is the wire running to the ignition switch. I had the generator look at and is in perfect condition. Lights and flashers work along with dash lights. I changed points ,condensor, rotor, and distributor cap. I pulled the number 1 plug and turned engine over and had a spark. My only concern was that it did not seem to be a brilliant blue spark.
From there I put the plug and wire back in and tried starting the vehicle by pouring some gas down the carb. I did get a few grunts as if it wanted to continue. That was short lived. I think it was flooded. I pulled all plugs and cleaned ,checking plug gap. I reinsatalled all plugs and wires . I then hook up a gerry can to the gas line from the tank. I disconnected the gas line from the carburator and primed the system. Once gas flowed , I reconnected the gas line to the carb. I then tried to start my jeep. No luck,not even a bark.
Can any one shed some light on these two issues I have. Note how do I test the coil? I did use a test light and am getting current on both sides of the coil. Enough of this.
Here are some pictues of my project. I want to get it running ,then I will decide which way to go. I realy like the looks of the jeep as it stands. anyway,thanks all.

Attachments

Last edited: