• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M39 5-ton brake system repair master cylinder air pack

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A "search friendly" title.

So I finally started to prepare to get going on working on the brakes, sort of, maybe.

In short, after 16 months of standing still the M51A2 had zilch pressure on the brakes and an empty Master Cylinder. Two weeks ago I threw in 7 ounces of Dot 5: no pressure after desperate pedaling, zilch.

Yesterday...... pressure and normal feeling. Still about the same amount of Dot 5 in the reservoir as two weeks ago. Today topped of with 4 ounces more (I needed the little bottle for bleeding). Tried again, good pressure, no way to get the pedal to the floor and the pressure keeps good even after several minutes constant power on the pedal (engine not running)? I did not do ANYTHING!

:lost:

So tomorrow hopefully the truck goes inside the workshop.

Some questions; please remind, this is about an M51A2 from 1973

Brake-MC-Airpack-03-a_resize.jpg

1) Is this protecting plate below the air pack original? The plate is connected to the supports that are holding the air pack, but it is bolted on with straight 14 metric bolts (not "a 14 can be used", these are METRIC bolts).

Brake-MC-Airpack-05c_resize.jpg Brake-MC-Airpack-09_resize.jpg Brake-MC-Airpack-08_resize.jpg

The Air Pack. If I would not know better (and I don't) I would think this is not the original Air pack but a later NOS replacement done in the Netherlands, with 14 metric bolts being used to put the protection plate back (it seems to have original army paint on it).

2) the bleeding nipple seems to be 7/16? Definitely bigger size than on the MC

Brake-MC-Airpack-15_resize.jpg

The Master Cylinder. Some cleaning cloth on top can be seen, it is there to prevent muck going into the venting opening.

2) White painted? Anybody ever saw this before or can tell if this is not original from sight?

3) the bleeding nipple seems to be 3/8s, not metric. Is it normal the have different sizes?

4) all the bleeding nipples on the brake cylinders I could work with metric 11 wrench. If standard, what would their size be, 7/16? Size 7/16 is bigger than metric 11, so probably these nipples or all cylinders are not standard. Did that happened more often in equipment stations in Europe?????

Brake-MC-Airpack-18_resize.jpgBrake-MC-Airpack-19_resize.jpg

Clear evidence that somebody worked on the brake system: the main outflow from the air pack is twisted! Both pics show the same twisted spot, just made from from opposite sites.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks