• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M39 Series VS M809 Anything important?

jhooah

Ok, just when I thought I had it all firgured out, It dawned on me the M543A2 wrecker we have is NOT an M816...Air Cleaners on the Passenger side...:roll:
So after downloading all sorts of great manuals and such, is there a different set I should use for the M39 VS the M809 series? tm9-2320-211-10-1 series (I'll look in the tech section next)

Any significant drawbacks to the M543A2 VS the M816? (I know the 809's are the Cummings 250's, so the engine portion and transmission guts will be different, (either MACK ENDT-673 or LDT 465's)but anyone have experiance with both types to relate any things I should be seeking for the older M543?

Any "oh it's a 'MACK', your going to love it! or Your going to Hate it! You'll pay forever, it's going to explode, etc. thoughts?

Really disturbs me that it took so long for me to realize it wasn't an M816, but then again, I am Infantry, what did I ever need a Wrecker for ;-)

Thanks for any advice.

18 Days till Freedom Flight then I can get cracking on restoring the M543.. Woohoo

LTC W. Winget
Kandahar, Afghanistan
headed back to Ole Virginia!

jhooah

LDS 465-1A from what I can see reference the manual (PS28) talking about the narrow primary fuel filter under the drivers fender (only one there, not two for the LDS465-1)

So now I'm thinking this is the identical engine as my M35A2 Deuce, only w/ power steering added...I'll have to get home and look down into her as well. Perhaps I even own a spare from DRMO I picked up a few years back...
Well it's a sure bet it's not a Cummins 250 M816 at least. Now M543A2 VS A3, I haven't a clue what the mods were, I'm fairly certain the A1 was a gasser.

Thanks W Winget

Attachments

area52

Nope you are not correct. If the picture above is your engine then it is an LDS not an LDT, Its the same block but the internals are slightly different for more power.

A M543 is a gas version, the A1 is a Mack and the A2 is the LDS multifuel version.

jhooah

DITTO the multi-fuel, I thought the Cummins was multi-fuel as well.
Guess they would be a little faster and a little more fuel efficient, but then I can likley set this one up to run Bogangles left-over oil in the right tank, repipe it a little and once she warms we can smell dinner as we work... LoL Owner of the local store has to pay to get rid of it, and I loaned them the Deuce one day for a parade vehicle, so there's plenty of 'fuel' if I want to go that route.
Just shocked that I wasn't keen enough to figure out it was older than she was. I'm for making her a 7th Transportation Group truck with OD, and yellow trim, with yellow hood front like they would have had in vietnam. Maybe I'll rustle up a few M113 pads (4) to stick on the front bumper as cushions too.
Hmm then there's the .50 Cal mount I was saving for the Deuce...need a ring and trolley, but time will provide them, or $$$
Can't wait to get home watch select neighbors get mad as I drive it into and out of our narrow community entrance road...:twisted: He with the bigger vehicle has right of way...:-D
V/R W. Winget

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks