• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M3A1 Halftrack Discovered

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend of mine gave me a lead on an M3A1 halftrack in a old salvage yard. I followed his directions and found the wrong salvage yard, which only had an old M37 W/W. Unfortunately, the M37 was missing the winch and the body was basically a 'screen', being a rusted-out hulk. I talked with the guy that ran the place and he told me how to get to the correct salvage yard about 4 miles away. The place is located a few miles from Clarkesville, Georgia in Habersham County. This place was a Mecca for parts for old 40s and 50s cars and trucks. This place was full of rusy hulks with usable parts. Apparently, the guy that owned the place was named Harold as everybody referred to it as Harold's place, but Harold has passed on. His family is selling stuff, but only on Fridays and Saturdays 10: - 4:00 PM. There are signs everywhere warning that trespassers will be prosecuted and do not enter. They apparently do not tolerate anyone on the property unless one of the family is there. The location is just outside of Clarkesville on SR 115. Coming from Helen on SR 197 you turn right on SR 115 and go about two miles until you will see a large number of rusty cars and trucks on the right. You drive up the gravel road to where a trailer is parked and talk with a family member. Again, do not enter unless it is on Friday or Saturday between 10 - 4 or you may risk being shot, according to the neighbors. If no one is there, leave immediately.

The M3A1 is in very rough shape. It could be restored, but is basically only a parts source in my opinion. Part of the top is cut away, and one fender is missing, while the other is crushed. The armor is also missing. The whole thing is loaded down with scrap steel. It is so overgrown with weeds and trees you almost miss it unless you are within 10 - 15 feet. He doesn't know how much it weighs, but the price is $20.00 per 100#. There is also a bunch of trashed M105A2 trailers there that are basket cases and an old Dodge Army bus. I took photos of everything I saw, but couldn't stay long. I have the guy's phone number. If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll provide the guy's phone number.

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That is east of cleveland, on the way to helen, Joel (BFR) took me to it years ago, the owner died, the family at that time, would not get rid of anything, I tried and tried, still sitting in the same spot

lacoda56

$400 per ton for unprocessed steel in the wild? Yeah, right! Another family that's talked themselves into believing everything the old man had is on a par with the current exchange rate for gold. I've seen it too many times, someone dies and the bast***s come out of the woodwork wanting their "fair share"!

robert c neth

Banned
nice pics. there are 7 halftracks within 30 miles of me and none can be bought have tried several times .some folks for whatever reason wont sell anything.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't care, will remind me of when I was in shcool. ;-)

Seriously, I might give them a call! If you go back, get me pics please!

And it's a Dodge!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Now that you mention it...........would look good on a bobbed deuce frame (if you could shoehorn the multi-fuel into it).

Hummmmm.....just make the front end all one piece and make it a tilt hood.

I'm just full of good ideas (well.......I'm full of something).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Now that you mention it...........would look good on a bobbed deuce frame (if you could shoehorn the multi-fuel into it).

Hummmmm.....just make the front end all one piece and make it a tilt hood.

I'm just full of good ideas (well.......I'm full of something).
Same here and just like you, NO MONEY

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
we're hijacking his thread but yeah, the fuel truck went over very smoothly, I was surprised. Of course I had just bought a steam cleaner and two beds for the house so...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks