• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M4 Sherman Hull on Farm

shootER

that rear idler wheel is throwing me off,

something is telling its not M4 sherman,

im thinking maybe M6 high speed tractor, or self propelled 155mm

that rear idler wheel just looks off to me to be an M4

I'm thinking the trailing idler is an "aftermarket modification", put on once the chassis was bought buy a civilian way back when.

The rest of the hull (that we can see) and the transmission housing look like it was originally a gun tank.

Last edited:

jhooah

The VMOA has an early M4 that could use a transmission and front final drive as well as the track. It was a range target, there's another range target M4 for sale up in Washington State over on G503, Get it if you can, there's always a need for components.

Seems to me they made it into an Excavator or crane judging by the ring (which is not where the turet ring would be, nor at the correct height) so if I took the upper hull from the VMPA's Thumper and grafted it to that hull.....Hmmm
I'd say get it if you can, there's somewhere for it in preserving history. Shame it's across the USA from our tank.
V/R W Winget
Virginia Military Preservation Association
www.vmpa.us

woodwalker

What kind of turd cuts up a tank to move logging equipment?!?

Sounds like it is about scrap price.

Most of the shermans sold directly to civilians had the turret removed as a demill.
Many years from now someone is going to say Who cuts up a m35 to make a bobbed truck?

Varyag

So I finally got back in touch with the guy on it. Evidently he sold it a little while later. I tried to get a hold of him quite a bit in the mean time for a few people. I figured he was avoiding my calls or something. I tried again today and he said he sold it to someone who wanted to make a toy out of it and gave me his number.

Scrapper got it. Long gone.

Makes me feel sick because I should have tried harder but just couldn't contact him.

Whatever, what do they say about biting the dust?

Last edited:

SD T16

BALLS!!!!!!!!

Well be sure to tell me about the next one you find!
Those tracks would have worked great on our Sexton!! Plus all the spare running gear parts.....

Thanks for putting some closer to this!

Varyag

Yeah, I specifically asked about all the parts. They said they may still have the track but the final drives and other usable gear that was in great shape all got cut up.

Ohh, he still has some bogeys but I believe the sexton used the centered return rollers rather then offset kind.

joeM62

Why would they want to do that to a sherman if it was already in bad shape I could see it but if it was all there but missing a few parts thats a mean thing to do to a classic peice of
history. Hope you can save it.

Carlo

I could have helped you get a turet here in Europe. Not far from here I found 3. Two good and the other battle damage. Plus there are many in Germany and France.
You let it get away!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks