• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M41 5-ton cargo

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was reading DDoyle's book last night, and it had a small writeup of the early 5-ton cargo trucks. It mentioned that there were M41 cargos (which ran on super single 14.00x20s) and the M54 cargos (which ran on dually 11.00x20s). I have never seen an M41. How many of these were made? Are there any Steel Soldier members out there that have one?

jimbo*

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck is in fact an M41. The guy got it at a county surplus sale, and has chopped the rear axle out of it. He might sell it if anyone is interested.
Here's pics of the data plate and super sinlge 14.00x20 tires.

Attachments

area52

jimbo* said:
I'll get some more pics of it--It's definately a project.

Oh, any luck finding that truck I asked about up there?
Jimbo,

PM Kenny who goes by the name Topo on here. He knows this area way better than I do and he knows where all the trucks are at up here. I have been asking but nothing so far.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see a delivery date on the tag of 1951, and it looks to me like this truck was painted tan CARC at the depot. I don't think any trucks were painted tan CARC in large numbers until around the time of Desert Shield in 1990. You think this ancient M41 served until that time period? Wow....

TacticalTruck

maddawg308 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see a delivery date on the tag of 1951, and it looks to me like this truck was painted tan CARC at the depot. I don't think any trucks were painted tan CARC in large numbers until around the time of Desert Shield in 1990. You think this ancient M41 served until that time period? Wow....
Yea, you're correct. Lots of early fifties gassers, many freshly re-built came out of Richmond, Va in the early '90s. I'd like to see some bd pics of the truck.
Jeff

5tondeuce

1953 M41 cargo truck

Hi guys,
I am fairly new to the forum,What a great place!!!. A couple of years ago I purchased a 1953 M41 cargo truck w/winch. It has what looks like an original tan camo paint job underneath the recent paint. the truck looks rough but is actually quite solid.There is a pretty good write up in the military vehicles magazine february 2004 pages 72 to 75 on M41 if anyone has it. I will try and post a pic of my truck if I can figure out how to.
Thanks Chris

Attachments

jimbo*

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll get more pics soon. The color isn't Tan Carc, it is faded mustard yellow--blecchhh.
I talked to the owner today--he wants $1800 for it. Apparently the engine doesn't run..at all.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably worth $1800 is scrap value, with the weight of all the steel in that monster. Would be worth making an offer on, since they are such rare beasts, and lend itself well to a re-engine....

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't look like too bad a repair. Some new torque rods and bolt it back on. As long as he didn't cut the rear frame, it's all good. The missing rear bed would be near impossible to find, fabbing would be very difficult, but easier than finding a source for the real deal.

Wish I was closer. And had money. She'd be coming home with me.

derby

Is that what You call a mid engine M41? Looks like the ford is the power plant to move it around.It dosen't look too bad,would need some work but looks to be worth it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks