• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M41 Air Question

Marshall

Hello everyone

I have read all the posts here on this forum about the transmissions and transfer cases
and I think I understand how they work. I'am in the process of getting tech manuals for this truck but haven't got them yet. I need to move the truck soon . My question is----
can I move the truck,under its own power, without any pressure in the air system?

From reading your posts I think it can be done. I just wanted to double check.

Thanks
Marshall

acetomatoco

You can, but you will have no brake assist or horn or trailer brakes etc... there are no air brakes to release, and don't forget to release the hand brake....and the buzzer will drive you nuts unless you pull the one wire to it... My question would be "Why will you have no air pressure if the truck is running?" Is the compressor belt missing, or are the air tanks open, or the glad hand valves on?

Marshall

M41 air question

Hello Ace

and thanks for posting a reply. The reason for no air is that the air line is broken and I
didn't want to engage the front axle yet. After I get it moved to my place then I can work on it. I'am going to post a story about this truck maybe tonight and that should make things as clear as mud.

Thanks again
Marshall

Marshall

Clear as mud

Hi

Its almost mid-night here and I have just posted in the Conversations forum a story about This truck. Titled My son's truck.

Marshall

Bill W

RE: Clear as mud

I'm still new to 5 tons but I thought they are full time 6wd and there a airshift valve that "disengages" the front axle when you put the truck in reverse which prevents the transfer gears from binding while backing up??

TacticalTruck

No, without air the sprag stays in the neutral position and will not engage. When you put it in reverse, it reverses the sprag, otherwise it is in forward mode. that is why it is important to put it into reverse even when you are just rolling back.
Jeff

Bill W

OK
But if the transfer is in neutral with no air how is the guy gonna move it?? Not arguing just looking for a education on these vehicles.
P.S. Jeff do you still have the 5 ton (multi) front harness for sale?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks