• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 cargo trailer for M1009

Orionspath

Towing with an Expedition

hndrson,

Thanks for the reply and the weight ratings..

But that still does not answer my question.
How is it that some guys here with M1009's can tow a M101 with no problems?
and also recommend it as a great trailer for the M1009, if it cannot handle the weight.

Thanks

CJ
Hey guys, I have towed mine fully loaded many times with a Ford Expedition. To the point where you cannot feel her behind you.....

CycleJay

Hello Orionspath,

Lucky for you.
But I am talking about an M1009 towing an M101.. Different combo than yours.

Good night and God bless you for sharing information though..

CJ

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, I have towed mine fully loaded many times with a Ford Expedition. To the point where you cannot feel her behind you.....
I tow my M101A1 behind my deuce and can't tell it's there either.... So what's the point?

ryan77

I wouldnt tow any thing heavy with the pintle on a m1009! Put a class 3 or 4 hitch on and your good to go dude!!!

cucv1833

Hello Orionspath,

Lucky for you.
But I am talking about an M1009 towing an M101.. Different combo than yours.

Good night and God bless you for sharing information though..

CJ

CJ
I tow my M101A2 with my M1009 no problems. I dont put much inside just my fourwheeler and some light gear at the most. My blazer has a 2.5 inch lift so it sits pretty level

A M416 is perfect for a blazer but I use My M101 with my blazer and F-150 Ecoboost

Good luck

Last edited:

GM-M1008

all you guys saying my M1008 pulls it fine, didn't read; M1009's have GM 10 bolts with 3:08's, not 14 bolts with 4:56's. Last, if you do it with your civvy blazer, how many have 3:08's? CJ is right, either use a 416 or
Just thought I would throw my 2cents in on this. Most civi full size blazer are geared 3:08s along with the k10 pick ups( I have cut multi trucks apart and the axles are in my yard yet all geared 3:08s) You do get the once in a blue moon stock k5 with maybe 3:73s at the lowest.The only place gearing really comes in is on mtns, hills any type of grade really. I mean heck, I have seen Tractor trailers are geared 4:56s and also found a couple with 3:73s.(The guy I work for mack granite has 4:56s and his Peterbilt is also geared the same) So gearing has really has nothing to do with it. So like I have said and like ryan77 has said go get your self a hitch receiver and you will be able to tow a m101a2 with out having to worry about any thing.

Just for an example on the gearing look at my trucks below. Both CUCVs are 4:56s, The k10 being rebuilt had 2:56s(yes that is correct), The scraped K10 and k5 both had 3:08s. Now missing from down this is A 1974 k20 which had 3:73s, 1987 v10 which had 3:08s but is now re-geared to 3:73s and another 1986 k10 which also had 3:08s. besides from CUCVs and the k20 the rest of the trucks had GM 10bolts in them, They all have towed, they all have hauled.... most of the time right around one ton and never damage anything.Now they all had brake boosters not hydra boost and they all stoped.

Your gearing is nothing to worry about. Your stopping power is nothing to worry about because you have Hydraboost which is better than a brake booster. The only thing I would worry about Like I said is towing it with your rear bumper.

CycleJay

Hello GM-M1008,

Thank you for the message and information.

This is why I am hesitant to move on this...
So many different and opposing facts, information, opinions, etc.

I simply do NOT want to tear up anything in/on my M1009, but I have a need
in the near future for a trailer, to do some hauling, etc.. So I need to get this done.
One way or another.

Thank you, and good day,

CJ

ryan77

Most civi full size blazers were 3.73 rear gear not 308 they had overdrive trans in them! 308 rear gear and overdrive are not a good combo, Ive had 3 civi blazers 85,86,91 all of them had a 3.73 rear end with overdrive!

GM-M1008

Most civi full size blazers were 3.73 rear gear not 308 they had overdrive trans in them! 308 rear gear and overdrive are not a good combo, Ive had 3 civi blazers 85,86,91 all of them had a 3.73 rear end with overdrive!
My 88 k5 had a 700r4 with 3:08s as did the 3 k10s all have 700r4s with 3:08s

quickfarms

When comparing gearing, tire size, transmission and engine size and type all factor in.

What size tires are on the blazer.

The diesel engines tend to have more torque than a gas engine. But diesel engines do not develop good vacuum so you have to change the type of brake booster. The hydraulic brake booster provides more boost than the vacuum booster.

When the military rates vehicles they are assuming the worst case scenario involving a fully loaded vehicle and trailer.

Towing an m101 with the blazer should not be an issue. The issue is the hitch on the blazer is weaker due to the location of the fuel tank .

rickf

When I had my shop in the 80's I put 3:73's and 4:10's in a ton of Blazers that had 3:07's in them from the factory. The only ones that had the 3:73's from the factory were bought with a towing package. I do agree that the 3:08 and overdrive was worthless but that was the thinking of the day, get the rpm's as low as possible.

Rick

rickf

Hello,

With all due respect, I would prefer a military vehicle..
That is why I asked which one I would need.

Thank you,

CJ
CJ, I towed a 5000 lb. boat on a regular basis with my civvie blazer with a class three hitch. Granted I had put in 3:73 gears but that is a **** of a lot cheaper than trying to find a good M1008. You have had nothing but trouble with your military vehicle and have spent thousands of dollars on it. Not more than a month ago you were on here begging for a cheap car and basically had little to pay for it. I have seen you on here in the past month planning all kinds of buys even after everyone on this forum advised you to park or sell the Blazer until you get you life in order. Now I figure that unless you hit the lottery you are still not in the black. You have repeated this pattern over and over. Why do you keep posting about buying stuff you do not have the money to buy? I am sure I will get royally flamed for pointing this out but I sure get tired of reading these posts. Yea, I know, don't read them. Easier said than done, I am drawn to them out of fascination. And I am amazed people keep feeding into it!

[Hi Guys,

I am wondering..

Do any of you have a good running, reliable vehicle for sale?

My employer is beginning to get upset that I do not have a reliable way,

to get to/from work.

I do not have the funds to buy & pay something off outright.

I would only be able to make monthly payments, that I know I am good for.

If I were to begin making payments, then at some point if I started having,

a hard time making payments, then I would be glad to give the vehicle back.

And I would be more then happy to provide every phone number

& address I can be reached at, so I can be reached for any reason
at any time..

I just need something good running & reliable to get to & from work,

until I get the problems with my M1009 worked out.

The only requirement I need in a vehicle is that it have an automatic

transmission.

By the way, I do not plan on going to a car dealer, because my credit is not

so good thanks to some minor bumps in the distant past.

So if any of you can work out a deal with me for a vehicle,

I would be glad to hear it. Before I lose my full-time job of 5+ years.

I would be glad to make payments and/or work for it.

(I can work in my free time when I am not at my full-time job..)

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.. ]

Rant over

Rick

Ken_86gt

But diesel engines do not develop good vacuum so you have to change the type of brake booster. The hydraulic brake booster provides more boost than the vacuum booster.
Huh? Diesel engined trucks don't have any vacuum unless you add on a vacuum pump, never any vacuum from the manifold like a gas engine.

ryan77

CJ, I towed a 5000 lb. boat on a regular basis with my civvie blazer with a class three hitch. Granted I had put in 3:73 gears but that is a **** of a lot cheaper than trying to find a good M1008. You have had nothing but trouble with your military vehicle and have spent thousands of dollars on it. Not more than a month ago you were on here begging for a cheap car and basically had little to pay for it. I have seen you on here in the past month planning all kinds of buys even after everyone on this forum advised you to park or sell the Blazer until you get you life in order. Now I figure that unless you hit the lottery you are still not in the black. You have repeated this pattern over and over. Why do you keep posting about buying stuff you do not have the money to buy? I am sure I will get royally flamed for pointing this out but I sure get tired of reading these posts. Yea, I know, don't read them. Easier said than done, I am drawn to them out of fascination. And I am amazed people keep feeding into it!

[Hi Guys,

I am wondering..

Do any of you have a good running, reliable vehicle for sale?

My employer is beginning to get upset that I do not have a reliable way,

to get to/from work.

I do not have the funds to buy & pay something off outright.

I would only be able to make monthly payments, that I know I am good for.

If I were to begin making payments, then at some point if I started having,

a hard time making payments, then I would be glad to give the vehicle back.

And I would be more then happy to provide every phone number

& address I can be reached at, so I can be reached for any reason
at any time..

I just need something good running & reliable to get to & from work,

until I get the problems with my M1009 worked out.

The only requirement I need in a vehicle is that it have an automatic

transmission.

By the way, I do not plan on going to a car dealer, because my credit is not

so good thanks to some minor bumps in the distant past.

So if any of you can work out a deal with me for a vehicle,

I would be glad to hear it. Before I lose my full-time job of 5+ years.

I would be glad to make payments and/or work for it.

(I can work in my free time when I am not at my full-time job..)

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.. ]

Rant over

Rick

We all have our dreams!!!!! Last night i dreamed of A corn-fed harvest mouse, a hooker, a nun, a Flemish peasant woman, whips, chains, whistles, yo-yo's, a circus midget. My grandmother riding by on a bicycle give me the finger, and a duck!

LOL !!!!

TyJustice

We all have our dreams!!!!! Last night i dreamed of A corn-fed harvest mouse, a hooker, a nun, a Flemish peasant woman, whips, chains, whistles, yo-yo's, a circus midget. My grandmother riding by on a bicycle give me the finger, and a duck!

LOL !!!!
rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks