• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 Civiian Wheel Interchange

plym49

My M416 has original NDT tires in really good shape considering their age. I have some 16" BFG take-offs from my wife's Suburban - plenty of thread. I would like to use the civilian 16" tires for every day use, and save the NDTs for special occasions. For obvious reasons, I don't want to remove the NDT's from the rim.

What civilian 16" wheels have the right bolt circle, offset and hub diameter? I know that Fords and other cars share the bolt circle, but I am not sure about offsets (disk brake vehicles) and hub opening diameter.

Ideally, I could see if I can find a couple of the correct military wheels, but I suspect that using a civilian steel wheel will be cheaper.

M416 1.jpg M416 2.jpg

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have 2 sets of rims/tires for my 416 and ill have to double check but i think the civy rim will be a 15in one. i can find out tomorrow for sure and post up again:driver:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For some reason, I have the impression that the old Willeys Overland wheels would interchange. That is going back there to the old days. When I was a Kid, I had a Willeys pickup, and those trailers were common then.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow i have a set of 4 old ford4x4 rims in the rear shed . ill have to get them out. i had them cleaned and primed years ago[thumbzup]

plym49

Thanks, it will be good if the measurements are posted for the backspacing and inner hub diameter.

Unfortunately, military parts are not common in this neck of the woods, and the cost and shipping of mail order would not make sense if I can get common steel wheels from a junkyard.

Last edited:

harleyhouse

I would haul it a jack and a impact gun to the local auto recycling yard.
The yards usually remove and store rims. Find three that match " a spare"
and mount your BFG tires.

Bantem in Butler Pa. made the 416 trailers I would think Willey's "Jeep"
wheels would share the same bolt pattern.

Good luck and post your find!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen sellers at Aberdeen have a hard time trying to sell M416 rims for $5 a piece. Heck, I've been one of them. You'll have an easy time finding extras at Aberdeen or any larger MV show.

plym49

I've seen sellers at Aberdeen have a hard time trying to sell M416 rims for $5 a piece. Heck, I've been one of them. You'll have an easy time finding extras at Aberdeen or any larger MV show.
That's my frustration. I am far enough away that I can't attend events like that given that spare moments are few and far between, and there are no such MV shows near me.

Also, not too many junk yards here. The few that exist all scrap right away so if you are not after a front clip from an Accord you are out of luck. Nor do they let folks into their yard although I have gotten lucky once or twice.

I really envy fellow SS'ers that have good supportive MV infrastructure where they live.

By necessity I do virtually all of my MV parts and accessory purchasing by mail. Most of the time it works just fine but can get painful when something bulky or heavy needs to be shipped.

I figure if I can get a hard year/model wheel the local junkyard will come through. I also assumed that the interchange information would be common knowledge. If an answer does not turn up I will indeed pull a wheel and measure hub diameter and backspacing and then I will take it from there.

natem

The bolt pattern on the 416 and 151 are the same as older Jeeps (5 on 5&1/2). But the 416 is hub piloted (no bevel on lugnuts) and the center is slightly smaller. I will try a wheel off of my m38 on my 416 and report findings ASAP. Well as soon as I get a chance (next day or two).

Nate

natem

I measured the back spacing this morning, the M-38 aka Jeep wheels are about 1 inch shallower measured from the inside to the mounting face. This would give you 2 inch wider track width.

Sorry I don't know of any newer vehicles that use the 5 on 5&1/2 bolt pattern. Newer jeeps might, but I can't say for sure.

Nate

plym49

I measured the back spacing this morning, the M-38 aka Jeep wheels are about 1 inch shallower measured from the inside to the mounting face. This would give you 2 inch wider track width.

Sorry I don't know of any newer vehicles that use the 5 on 5&1/2 bolt pattern. Newer jeeps might, but I can't say for sure.

Nate
Thanks!! That is really useful information. That would also increase the loading on the outer wheel bearing; not good. So far it looks like I have to find a couple of real M416 wheels.

gerrykan

That would also increase the loading on the outer wheel bearing; not good. So far it looks like I have to find a couple of real M416 wheels.
The M416 uses large diameter wheel bearings, and has a small cargo area, I doubt a negative offset wheel will cause any harm.
I have towed a loaded 1/4-ton trailer with 8" wide wheels(lots of negative offset) thousands of miles with no wheel bearing problems.

Pawnshop

The M416 wheels use tubes, as far as I know you will have to tube a tubeless radial tire on the stock wheels. I would go with stock Jeep wheels and not worry about the 1" offset difference.