• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 for BBQ trailer and some questions

JMatyas

I acquired my first MV. It is a M416 that was loaded with trash and abandoned. My family and I are avid campers and I thought it would make a great smoker/BBQ pit to take to the campground. I know that someone must have used one of these for this before. I need some suggestions on what the best set up for this would be. I know I want a cooker area, wood storage area, and an area for a large cooler. Possible even adding on a fryers to deep fry some fish or turkey.

I want to keep the trailer in as much of its original form as I can, with nothing protruding over the top. I was thinking I would use the rear third as the cooking/BBQ area, the center third for wood storage, and the front third for the cooler. I want to build the cooker from 3/16 or 1/8 steel and make it rectangular to fit the dimensions of the trailer. I decided on this over using a large propane or oil tank. I would also like a fold out prep table.

I just started the tear down and will be sand blasting and painting soon. I don't plan on a total restore. I think the few existing rust holes give it character. A new bed of 3/16 steel was welded in by a previous owner so I can't seperate the bed from the frame.

I need to know what king of brake system this is and how it is used. I think I am going to delete it though.

I attached some photos of the tear down. I hope this doesn't offend the restoration purists.

nhdiesel

I can't help you with the project, but it sounds cool. I am glad to see that you are using a trailer that isn't really suitable for restoration, because of the previous welding and repairs. Perfect trailer for a project.

Jim

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I attached some photos of the tear down. I hope this doesn't offend the restoration purists.
It will, but heck with them. Some purists are so picky they bitch because we don't put the factory grease pencil marks on the frame like the Pebble Beach concours restoration folks.

My opinion - your trailer is far to gone to be a restoration candidate. However, it is in perfectly good shape to rebuild it as good as you can, and modify it to your liking.

A custom mod is always better than having the trailer rot away full of garbage in a field somewhere.

Great idea for a BBQ grill! Others have done similar ones....

Attachments

harm

I got one of these a few months back to build as a camper. Will eventually add a roof top tent to it, and carry all our gear in it. Will swap out the axle with a Toyota axle with matching lug pattern as my FJ Cruiser to use my spare tire if needed

JMatyas

Been a while,because I have been on the BBQ smoker forums but here are the updates. Trailer has been disassembled,sandblasted and painted with high heat paint. Haven't done the wheels yet. I scored a compressor tank for my cooker and built the fire box. We cut and built the door and put on a stack.I attached a picture of the set up on another trailer. I burned the paint off today. I will probably start transfering the cooker to the M416 soon.

poof

Dirty Hippie
Nice Doggy.. I used to live in the Cape... went to cape elementry and Caloosa middle.. then North for a year then Grad @ Cypress lake..
Wish I could find a trailer like that for the Taking.. nice score and cool grill Idea...
J.P.

CycleJay

Good luck with the project.

I have a CUCV, and that kind of trailer is the exact trailer that is supposed to go with my CUCV.
I wish I could find one like you did, to restore, so I can haul cargo.

Good night,

CJ

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now all he has to do is paint it OD GREEN.

Kidding... LOVE THE COOKER.

I think I know where one of those trailers is. I have not looked at it for a while because I NEVER thought of what you did. EXCELLENT.