• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416-Found USMC Symbol Under Paint-Need ID

mutttruck

Hello all, new to this. I just bought an M416 (1967 Stevens) to go with my A2 Mutt. You can see from the pictures that it's in pretty good shape. It's now in pieces ready for sand blasting and subsequent painting or powder coating.

I tried to carefully remove layers of paint in places that I thought might have other markings underneath. I found that the ID numbers that were visible were the same as some I found below other layers, all in black lettering. Not sure what they may mean but they're consistant. There is a layer of yellow that should be the typical USMC markings but I have not been able to "lift" anything that I can read.

I did find an odd painted-on symbol, it's a blue half circle with white lettering or a kind of symbol inside the blue field. I can't make it out, I'm hoping that someone out there can indentify it to help me develop some history.

I know that this trailer came out of salvage here in California (bought in Colorado), Camp Pendelton I think, but that's all I know. Thanks to all for any help.

Attachments

Maverick1701

IF you have serial #s and pictures of the markings Carnac has a thread where he can ID vehicles and tell units/groups etc.

It may take a little searching to find though.

JB

The half circle and blue paint were used for quick identification of whose unit/division the trailer belonged to. I just moved but if i can find my resource book it should tell what division it was. I painted mine with a blue diamond to match the 8th tank battalion of the 4th division. Try looking up my past posts for pics of placement of the symbols. Should be at least on both left and right sides and the rear panel. Found the link http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/52727-usmc-m416-partial-restoration.html

Last edited:

L1A1

That's one really nice M416. I just picked up one of those myself coinsadentally, to pull behind my M151A2:cool:.

Looks like your landing leg is bent. John Bizal of Midwest Military sells those.
Matt

mutttruck

Symbol Found Under Paint

Thanks for the replies. Here is a new picture showing the location of the symbol that I found. It's located on the rear panel just left of center. Unfortunatly, I don't know how much of the symbol is missing due to the paint remover. Thanks again for the help.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 4th MarDiv emblem is a rather unimaginative red diamond with a gold 4 on it.

Divisions 1-3 are the current active duty Marines.
4th MarDiv is the Marine Reserve division.
The 5th MarDiv was deactivated after WWII, but was reactivated from 1966 to 1969.
The 6th was deactivated in 1946.

Cheers

Attachments

RangerBob

I was thinking of the UNIS markings. This trailer is Vietnam-era. I don't know how long after WWII UNIS codes were used, but here are a couple of Korea-era Mighty Mites with the UNIS code for the 1st Marine Division. Note the location of the one on the front-left of the second Mighty Mite. You might assume the same scheme on the left-rear, as with this trailer. Somewhere I found a picture of a Jeep with the 4th Marine UNIS on the pax side, but can't find it now. But found a shovel cover.:) Note the UNIS was changed at some point. This was common when Marines and gear changed assignments and may explain why the symbol on the trailer is hard to decipher.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Understood, wasn't thinking in UNIS terms for an M416. Looks like you could be right though.

Unless it is just Kilroy.. :beer:
Cheers

mutttruck

I'll be out at the hanger tomorrow and will get some high res pictures of the symbol, that is, up to the allowable file size for uploading.

Any tricks to removing paint one layer at a time? Heat gun or torch maybe?

Thanks for the input.

steelypip

The traditional method is with a sanding block with 600 or 400 grit wet or dry paper. You just wet sand the area until you go through a layer and have a peek at what is underneath. As long as you're gentle you'll get a good even removal of the newer layers with minimum damage to the older ones. It can take some time, but the chemistry of the paint relative to a stripper is no longer a problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks