• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 Restoration in Progress

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and very thankful to have found such a great resource with such knowledgeable experts on such topics.

I just picked up a 1967 Stevens 1/4 Ton M416 Trailer. Overall it's in pretty decent shape. It has about 4 or more coats of paint that I have to knock off and some minor surface rust. The only thing that's not original are the lights which I'll be ordering shortly. I just ordered the original paint for it and stencil kit. This may be a dumb question but does anyone know what color white they used for the Stencil Markings? I'm assuming that it's just a basic flat white, but I want to get it right. And does anyone know a good place to find close to or original lights for it? And would it be sacrilegious to Rhinoline the undercarriage? Thanks again everyone!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440206608.167840.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440206627.516957.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440206645.931382.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440206665.281469.jpg

Does anyone have any pics of M416 Trailers with black markings? I'm getting ready to stencil the Unit, Company & Serial numbers on it but I can't decide between white or subdued black. I've seen both but not sure what's original. Would black of been an original color on some for the markings? Thanks!

The restoration is going slower than expected. I finally have it primed, but I had to order new lights, side markets, all new wiring harnesses, drain plugs, etc. I just received the stencil Kit & Lusterless Khaki Olive Drab paint for it. Hope to have it all done by weeks end.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442162281.496478.jpg

Well I'm far from done but I was able to get a coat of Olive Drab on it today. I went with Lusterless Khaki Olive Drab. It's a little darker than I expected but it looks good. Next up is another coat of paint, stencils and electric then it's on to camping!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442444926.942919.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442444941.140870.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442444959.128507.jpg

Off the topic, but why do so many M416 Trailers have damage to the front and rear of the bed that looks like ball pein hammer dents or dings? What exactly is that from? I've seen it on numerous M416's. Mine are on the driver side when towing.

KansasBobcat

Off the topic, but why do so many M416 Trailers have damage to the front and rear of the bed that looks like ball pein hammer dents or dings? What exactly is that from? I've seen it on numerous M416's. Mine are on the driver side when towing.
Don,t know for sure but a .30 cal. can will do that. The last M416 I was signed for was full of beer and ice, Bien Hoa, 4 July 1971.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An idea for the license plate - my buddy has plates for his, he bolted the plates to four round magnets from the hardware store. He also attached a small, battery powered, LED light to it.
When he gets to a show, the plates comes off and gets stashed in an ammo can. The magnets don't scratch his paint.

Cheers