• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 Trailer build for back-country travel

ExpeditionOps

I have just recently purchased a M416 trailer. Frame is in great shape, axle is doing well also.

To be done:
Strip it down
Blast it
Swap Axle to Dexter with 6x5.5" stud hubs with electic drums and parking brake
Replace E-Brake housing
Weld in reciever into rear of frame
Weld Sliders to frame
Reinforce tailgate
Make height adjustable rack
Shovel/Axe/Hi-Lift mounts
Reciever added to tongue
Max Coupler
Way down the road:
Make tongue box(Water pump, Batteries,...
Slide out kitchen
Propane cylinder mount
Frontrunner Gas can mounts
Frontrunner Rack
Eezi-Awn 1600 T-Top
Solar
Radio/Comm's
Drawer slides for the rear
Spare tire Swingout

My goal is to be able to travel the tent at a low height and sleep at 6'3"+/-, this allowing the Awning to be at an appropriate height and making the shower room off the T-Top usable.

I'll be fully documenting my build on Expedition Ops Facebook page at Expedition Ops | Facebook

Attachments

Last edited:

ExpeditionOps

I swung by Northern Tool to grab 2" recievers. One for the tongue and one for the back end of the trailer frame. This should allow me to have a rear recovery point for the trailer or carry a bike rack or maybe MAYBE a motorcycle carrier.

They had an 18" tube and a 12" tube, the 18" was almost a perfect fit to reach between the two rails, this will later get 1.5"x3 14ga steel tube going diagonally to the side rails for strength and support.

Attachments

Last edited:

ExpeditionOps

Next will be Paint, the rack, a topper, lights and wireing, then she should be ready to roll. If you know of anyone that needs an M416 axle or some wheels, mine are for sale.

Last edited:

ExpeditionOps

Well, after burning a full day plus some behind the computer working on a Stainless steel kitchen design, I was the CAD jockey ask PhotoGod about it, we finally got to the rack, I took out a loan to try and finish this thing before Feb. 17. (I didnt actually take out a loan, but I'm pulling out the stops)
Photogod, came over, again, today and we started to weld the rack in. Everything seems to be pretty well figured out. The gas struts are on thier way, so we'll see if the lift system will work. I found Pop Pins, from Grainger, and cheaper than Mcmaster Carr, plus had them in less than 24hrs and no shipping.

Enough chatter, time for a couple pics,

Tomorrow will be some electrical work, I'm thinking. Monday, pick up some more steel and the struts arrive!

Good job, I like the way you added to the sides and widened the fenders. This is close to my own M416 build...I also replaced the axle to match my yota, ran steelies and BFG muds to match my 4runner, custom lid and rack, extended the toungue, gas can holders, Custom larger fenders, and a Serengetti RTT.

ExpeditionOps

Sounds great. Do you have a build on the web I could check out? I'd love to see it. Thanks for the kind words.

Jeremy

Good job, I like the way you added to the sides and widened the fenders. This is close to my own M416 build...I also replaced the axle to match my yota, ran steelies and BFG muds to match my 4runner, custom lid and rack, extended the toungue, gas can holders, Custom larger fenders, and a Serengetti RTT.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks