• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 trailer Parts availability

86M10086.2L

I found a 416 trailer by me at a junk yard in pretty decent shape. The only things missing are the data plate, the tail lights, and someone cut the tailgate/rear wall out. I know only the canadian versions of these trailer had tailgate but it was the only way I can think to describe it. They're asking $350 for it and I'm thinking of grabbing it for my M1008, and also be able to use it as a useful utility trailer. Does anyone know where I can get replacement military lights for it? I've also been told that replacement rear panels are available for them as well. Anybody know who has them? I know almost nothing about military trailers so I don't even know where to begin looking.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lights are everywhere. Does it have the small cat eyes of composites? Jeeppanels makes the rear panel IIRC. (Google them)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: The M416 has plenty of spare parts floating around, and data plates, lights, and body panels are out there from the above sources. About the only parts I can think of that are difficult to find without tearing down another junk trailer, are the axle, the frame (though Bensinger does carry the M100 series frame in repro, which is similar), the drawbar and the lunette. The rest of the body parts, electrical handbrake, wheel, brake, etc. parts are out there NOS.

86M10086.2L

I tried searching for JeePanels, but it appears that the site has been deleted. Does anyone have new contact info for them? are they still around? Does $350 sound fair for the trailer? Obviously without seeing it appraising it is hard, but for a 85-90% complete rolling tailer with little or no rot, missing from what I can tell only the taillights, the rear pannel and data plate. Would I be getting burned paying $350 for it? No paperwork either, but I can register it as a homebuilt in my state.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$350 is a good price for a 1/4 ton trailer, I'd snag it. The part you need aren't going to be expensive.

JeePanels Plus's website has been down for a long time. I know they are still in business, just a phone mail-order company now. Anyone have the phone number?

86M10086.2L

well, I saved it. Here are a few photos of the M416 I just grabbed from the salvage yard. Needs some tailights, tail panel, and a data plate if anyone has one. But it's in suprisingly good/solid shape. No obvious rot, bed and floor are pretty straight. Enjoy

Attachments

BillIdaho

Well worth the money ($350, I think was the price), based on the photos provided. You should be able to find a rear panel and get it welded in. As far as the two different lights usually found on M416's, find a picture of a rear of an M151 (or M151A1) , and then find a picture of the rear of an M151A2, or any newer MV. The M151 and A1 have the "cat's- eyes" and the A2 has the larger (easier seen!) ones. Either are relatively easy to find and not terribly expensive. (There are now LED versions of the larger ones----those are kinda pricey)
There is another variation you can use, which would be the "NATO" lights, as found on Gama Goats. l have heard the lens cover from a NATO light will bolt right onto the "cat's-eye" housing, but I have never tried it myself. The NATO cover shows a bunch more red lense, therefore safer in the grand scheme of things. Those (the NATO style) would be about halfway in between the illuminated size of the "cat's eyes" talilight and the A2 style.The NATO style would not be actually "authentic", as I don't think I have EVER seen a 416 with those on it while it was serving Uncle Sam, but they are a compromise for size vs safety.
That particular trailer in the pictures could have had either.

But as importantly, are those early style "American" brand mags from the 60's-70's?

86M10086.2L

Yep American racing rims on the 55. I have a set of Kidney bean mags for the truck to, but the rubbed with the 33's on them. Now that the truck has a 4 inch lift as of monday it's no longer a issue. Are there any suppliers that have the lights or is that more of a swap meet kinda deal? Doesn't really matter, not a big rush to get the trailer road worthy. Few things that need attention first, but I'll pick up parts if I see them.

Pete

You can get M416 trailer parts at RAPCO. Also, check the ads in Military Magazine where M151 parts are listed. Actually, to be authentic, the M414 trailer is too small for your M1008. You will need a M101 or a M101A1 trailer.

Pete
11 Sep 08
pandrthompson@verizon.net

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks