• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m43 abulance question

woodwalker

hello I have found a m43 abulance still in original configuration
was used by a small town FD as there winter/snow abulance
all the goodies are still in the back
guy says it runs one brake is dragging
asking 3500 firm think it is worth it?
I tend to the older stuff but it is nice
I have pictures but not on the web can email to someone
gave it a good once over like I said looks nice.
thanks for the input guys.
LTR

woodwalker

yes it is still 24volt by original I mean the only modification was they changed the spotlight head on the roof when the military one went bad other than that
nothing was changed or removed
have not seen it run we have not got that far into the deal to haul gas and a battery down there and fire it off but would before the purshase.

m376x6

Very much worth it. I've owned a couple over the years. The old Southwind heater in the back will keep the inside nice and warm. They make the most wonderful camping outfit. A bit top heavy so going on trails the M37 can handle is a bit much for them, you get nervous when that trucks shifts hard to one side when you get on a slope. Otherwise

nopics

Regards,
M376X6

gwalker

The m-43 is unique but its not real practical to drive, at least stock. I had one, it is so heavy, its twice as slow as an m-37, you cant see anything behind or on your right side.As a result there isnt the interest and certianly not the value as a m-37, so just watch the price dont equate it to a m-37.

citizensoldier

Just a word of caution.. If its been sitting for any amount of time bypass the fuel tank.. Use a boat motor tank with fresh fuel and tap into it just before the fuel pump.. She may have ran good but chances are if its been sitting you will suck crap into it and then she will run like crap..
They are a little more rare in good shape than a M37 so I disagree with gwalker.. I feel they are worth more.. :-D Longer wheelbase, good camper, and fun to own..

Capt.Marion

Just a word of caution.. If its been sitting for any amount of time bypass the fuel tank.. Use a boat motor tank with fresh fuel and tap into it just before the fuel pump.. She may have ran good but chances are if its been sitting you will suck crap into it and then she will run like crap..
They are a little more rare in good shape than a M37 so I disagree with gwalker.. I feel they are worth more.. :-D Longer wheelbase, good camper, and fun to own..
Aye, just lash a plastic 1/4 or 1/2 gal. fuel tank right to the front bumper, run a hose from inside it to the "in" side of the fuel pump. It's like 1/4" ID rubber hose. That's what my fuel tank has been for about 3 years now.

Last edited:

m376x6

A the bottom rear of the tank is a small pipe plug you can remove and drain out whatever might remain in the tank into a container. Stock fuel pumps have a hand lever attached to them. Depending on where the camshaft lobe is on the pump lever inside the engine pumping the outside hand lever is quite successful. Drain the tank. put a few gallons of new fuel into the tank and remove the fuel line before the carb. Operate the hand lever on the fuel pump until you get clean furl out of the end of the line. Run a hose from it to a clear container so you can inspect the fuel as it comes out. I have seen fuel that has been sitting so long in lines and tanks it has become a sticky almost solid varnish. No big deal, it just means some disassembly of the tank and lines to clean it out. Ambulanes, while not as in demand as M37's generally, are a unique and very special truck, very desirable and fun when the price is right for a truck in complete condition. Beauty and desirability, is always in the eye of the beholder.

Regards,
M376X6

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A neighbor has an M43 parked in my yard. It's a '53 with rust damage and the original engine. Some parts have been removed, including the cylinder head, but are loose inside....
According to some tags, it was used as a computer van of sorts....
I think he would be happy if he got $1,000 for it, as is.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I knew of a M43 in Canon City Colorado that was all original even the markings. It was sold a while back to someone else , try to post pics . If it was the same one its well worth twice that.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Not the same one but , man Colorado has some nice unrestored stuff. I wish I could get a M43. Another thing to look for is how bad the roof has been rusted etc. Being a Colorado MV you should be ok.

Lemme know if you find another guys .

zak

Check the roof seams. They will leak water into the insulation between the walls. It will start to rust from the inside out and you won't know it. Hopefully the fire dept stored it inside and out of the weather.

Attachments

Superdave

I wish that you could find them up here running for those prices as they are very few and far between and I realy like the looks of the ambulance. I was lucky to find one a couple years back that needs to be restored ( one of many on my list ) and it is probably one of a very few up here as it was painted from the factory for the Royal Canadian Air force in a navy blue and then later painted over in a yellow as a trafic controll vehicle.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks