• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M43/M37 camshaft

I am taking apart the engine in my M43 ambulance and have hit a snag. How do you get the camshaft out? i got the entire valve section taken apart except for that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MartinB

I have a 1967 WM300 Power Wagon with the 251 flathead engine. Very similar to the 230 that you have.

Make sure the oil pump is out as well as the distributor. both are gear driven off the cam. the oil pump is in the middle of the block at the bottom.

If all else fails, call Vintage Power Wagons in Fairfield Iowa. They know everything and have every part for military and civilian Dodge trucks.

Capt.Marion

I have a 1967 WM300 Power Wagon with the 251 flathead engine. Very similar to the 230 that you have.

Make sure the oil pump is out as well as the distributor. both are gear driven off the cam. the oil pump is in the middle of the block at the bottom.

If all else fails, call Vintage Power Wagons in Fairfield Iowa. They know everything and have every part for military and civilian Dodge trucks.
Yeah, you could also give AB Linn a call up in NC. He's been working on these trucks for most of his life...

citizensoldier

Rotate it upside down and push all the tappets down. Then unbolt the cam hub and twist and pull it out slowly. You will need a cam bearing puller/intall tool to remove the cam bearings.
Is this engine rusty or was it frozen up? might have some corosion issues..

maxim

Another tip is to pull all the tappets up and put a spring loaded clothes pin on the shaft to hold it up. Them take the bolts out of the cam hub like Cit says and SLOWLY and CAREFULLY start to remove the camshaft by rotating it to get the lobes past the bearings. If there wre rust issues check the head of the tappets for pitting and corrosion. The tappets will come out after the camshaft is out. I take a board and bore 12 holes in it and label it to keep the tappets in the correct order for re-assembly.

citizensoldier

Some more detail as I am assuming you are tearing this motor down for a rebuild? The fuel pump rides on the cam too. So I am talking from the stand point of the crank and rods are out. I am sure you are but yes make jigs or lay it all out so it go's in the same hole when you put it together. Vintage Powerwagon are not to high on new cams if you dont have one. Many times the cams are re-usable with little to no wear. Tappets can show some wear and are pricey to replace.. They can also be re-ground..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks