• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M43 stubborn oil leak. Any ideas will be appreciated

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a oil leak on my M43 ambulance that appears to be coming from the front of the engine around or very near to the timing cover front pulley area. I have dismantled the front end of this vehicle three times to replace the front timing cover seal.

1st time = replace timing cover seal making sure cover was not cocked and centered correctly.
Still leaks sufficiently to leave a small puddle on the ground.

2nd Time = replaced seal as above but made sure I had gasket compound on the bolt threads of
the bolts that held the timing cover in place.
Still leaks sufficiently to leave a small puddle on the ground.

3rd time = Used a shim / spacer kit on the front piece of the crankshaft that the seal goes on
to account for any crank wear and to tighten up the seals I.D. fit onto the crank.
Appeared to be good for 30 to 50 miles. And now it leaks more than it ever has leaving
a larger puddle on the ground.

I have replaced the oil pan gasket twice.

1st time = I installed the front and rear pieces of the seal after trimming them a bit. WRONG! not
supposed to trim them at all. They are to crush in on tightening. Also forgot the thread
sealer goop for the bolts so not to leak there.

2nd Time = Installed the pan gaskets properly and gooped the threads when installing the oil pan.

Currently I have the oil coming out from under the front pulley / timing cover area dripping all over the cross member and making a good sized puddle under the vehicle. I cannot drive it around anymore without a lot of oil leaking out.

I am wondering if I have to remove the timing chain and engine front cover to replace the gasket for the engine front cover?

I am also wondering if this engine needs a oil slinger?
(It does not have one since a tube from the engine block spews lubricating oil on the chain while operating instead of a oil slinger splashing it into the chain,)

I am open to any and all suggestions to try and cure this problem. I know these vehicles get a drip drip here and there but this is a chronic oil leak in the area I have described. I hope someone can assist me with this problem.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am thankful for the ideas I am getting from all of you. I will wait and see if there may be more information about the front engine cover behind the timing gear and if there is a difference in size of the seal when the vehicle is equipped with the tube feed oiler instead of a slinger.

Then I will tackle this mess once again and let you know the results.

ATTEMPT NUMBER FOUR soon to be released at your local S.S. site!

GUNNY 155

YES there should be an oil slinger in there. Been down this road with mine having the same issues. Mine had a bent cover which I straightened and got the leak down to a very small rate. I now have a new cover that I plan on installing this winter some time.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
YES there should be an oil slinger in there. Been down this road with mine having the same issues. Mine had a bent cover which I straightened and got the leak down to a very small rate. I now have a new cover that I plan on installing this winter some time.

Thank you for your input.

Does the truck you have also use the oiler tube (along with the slinger) to lubricate the timing chain?

GUNNY 155

Yes it has the tube to direct oil on to the chain. It was interesting to note the comments on the different seals and should the slinger be used or not. As far as I can tell looking at three different seals I have seen in kits the slinger should still fit. I am currently running a seal that came in a FelPro kit from NAPA Auto parts. My new cover that is still sitting on the bench I got from Mid West Military came with a seal installed. The seal before that was the one that came in the overhaul set but I do not remember the brand. I could not find anything in the TM's to indicate not using the slinger. One other point to note on two of my seals the side that would be inside the timing cover were flat with one being open and allowing the rubber to be seen the other had a metal shield. The one in my new cover also has the enclosed flat metal shield part but also has a flared extension to further direct oil away from the seal. Hope I am not adding to the confusion. Your could call John at Mid West Military and question him, he is very knowledgeable on the M37's and always willing to share. He has new covers and they are not very expensive.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it has the tube to direct oil on to the chain. It was interesting to note the comments on the different seals and should the slinger be used or not. As far as I can tell looking at three different seals I have seen in kits the slinger should still fit. I am currently running a seal that came in a FelPro kit from NAPA Auto parts. My new cover that is still sitting on the bench I got from Mid West Military came with a seal installed. The seal before that was the one that came in the overhaul set but I do not remember the brand. I could not find anything in the TM's to indicate not using the slinger. One other point to note on two of my seals the side that would be inside the timing cover were flat with one being open and allowing the rubber to be seen the other had a metal shield. The one in my new cover also has the enclosed flat metal shield part but also has a flared extension to further direct oil away from the seal. Hope I am not adding to the confusion. Your could call John at Mid West Military and question him, he is very knowledgeable on the M37's and always willing to share. He has new covers and they are not very expensive.

After your first response I looked around for a cover. I will definitely go to Midwest and see if I can get one I will also seek out John since I am totally frustrated with this front end oil leak. Cannot THANK YOU enough for your helpful reply.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks