• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M43 transfer case temp fix help.

60Buick

My m43 has a few more parades, parties and other events that it has been promised out to over the next couple weeks before I rebuild the transfer case this winter. I need advise on a bandaid. The output shaft to the front axle is very very sloppy. The bearing is shot and seal might as well not be there, it leaks oil bad at that spot. The transfer case is empty in no time when on the road. The 60 miles to the GA rally and 4 days of fun cost me $75 worth of transfer case fluid. And it's a big mess coating the back doors and bottom of the truck. That has got to stop. Here is a picture of the gap at The out put.
20161027_183851.jpg

My question-

I am pulling the driveshaft for now and was wondering if the output yoke turns at all if I am only in 2wd with the drive shaft removed either mechanically or from a parasitic load from inside the case. If it doesn't turn, I would like to run a bead of silicone over the gap as a fluid dam until late Nov. This fix is very temporary just to do a few events, will it work?

Thanks

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't you just throw in a bearing, seal and gasket in it; then do the full rebuild later?

60Buick

I really don't know. I have never had one of these transfer cases apart. If I pull the 4 bolts holding the bearing retainer does that come out as one assembly? I would hate to pull it and then be committed to a tear down.

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can remove the bearing retainer which holds the seal without disturbing anything else. With the front driveshaft removed and a new seal installed it may get you by, but this would be a bandaid fix, it appears you have more going on than just the seal. When replacing the retainer the gasket thickness is important. Check the technical manual for the proper procedure.

Frank

60Buick

Thank you. It's looking like a new front seal would be bandaid at best. I may end up replacing gears and a shaft if it can't be sleeved. Its pretty worn. I cleaned it and ran a bead of silicone as a temp fix. I went 80 miles round trip to a parade yesterday, it didn't leak and was much quieter. I have one more parade and a veterans memorial for November and I can yank the case and do it right.