• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M44/45 Class 530A/B/C Fire truck

jasonjc

So I just was thinking now that I have a M45A2 class 530C and/or M530C 2 1/2 ton 6X6 fire truck. How many other on here have them??????? And what models and equipment on them and what color???????

Attachments

FrankUSMC

I have one, and drove one for years while in the Marines. It was the first Crash Truck I got my licence on.
The one I drove was, like yours camouflaged. I am thinking the first one I drove was the older 4 patteren camouflage. I am trying now to get my old photos back.
I have photos from Marines that show the M530 series trucks painted red, Marine Green, and the different camouflage patterens. I just got a set of photos from a Marine who was in Viet Nam in 1963, and the M530B (and a M37!!) are both painted red.
I have alot of the gear that went on the M530C. When it cools off down here I will lay some of the stuff out and send you a photo.
Thanks for saving our history.
One of the few, Frank

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I have a 530C - restored - I'll post pix in a couple days. I have a 530B that has been a parts donor for the C - I hope to locate either a water purification or pipeline bed to install on the 530B chassis.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

raidermp

Anyone have a picture of their finished vehicle they wouldn't mind posting? I am looking for something I might be able to include in my volly fire departments history scrap book to show people what the first vehicle they owned looked like. I could just say "like" a deuce, and being a military town, they would have some clue, but it just doesn't explain the back end to them.
The original members of the department 25-30 years ago didn't take any pictures that we know of and I just found this info out from one of the original members this past week.

raidermp

Wow! Looks great! Do you mind if I print that out as is with the credit along the bottom?

I believe I read they supposedly had a 500 gpm pump but relied mostly on drafting for water supply as the tank was rather small. Is that true?

Also, can anyone explain the difference between the A/B/C models? I am told the old one at the department was an "A".

You guys seem to be about the only ones I've found so far that have an actual working knowledge of the trucks and figure you might be the best source of info.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Yes, you can use the photo of my truck, or either of the ones below.

The tank is 400 gallon, with an additional foam tank - which I think is 40 gallons. My truck is a 530C, last of the series, it has a 750 GPM midships-mounted Waterous pump. Also notice the foam gun above the cab. The 530C trucks were powered by either the LD-465 or LDT-465 Multifuel engine (many folks mistakenly call these diesel), and have dual rear wheels.

The 530B at a glance looks just like this - however without the foam gun. Internally, the 530B has a 500 gpm pump. Although the bed looks like the one on the 530C, almost none of the body parts interchange. The 530B can have either single or dual wheels, and can be powered by either of the engines listed above, or a LDS-427 Multifuel engine, or a OA-331 gas engine.

Below is a photo of a 530A. Rather than a midships pump, the 530A had a pump mounted on the front bumper (so do lots of "home-brew" fire trucks). Whereas the Bs and Cs had compartmented bodies with internal stowage, much of the gear on a 530A was hung on the outside of the truck. All of the 530As had OA-331 Reo or Continental gas engines and single rear tires.

The 6x6 military tactical fire truck prior to the 530A was based on the GMC CCKW (whereas the trucks listed above were built on a Reo-designed chassis that could have been built by any number of different firms). Depending on whose reference you use, the GMC was either a Class 335 or Class 530. I'll post a photo below, just in case.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

Attachments

Cooltex24

Hey citizen,
Where was the one on ebay? Do you happen to still have a link? Thanks.
Scott
And I am still saving to get my 530. Almost there.

bugei

now that's a squirt gun. never loose a water fight with that bad boy, do you?

beautiful truck david, thanx for the pictures.

kc8sfq

DDoyle said:
here is mine, as I neared finishing the restoration.
Hi there Dave:
Is that an M-292 I see in the background? are you restoring it (or have you already)? Mine is a 1967 which I discovered only after I got it home was accepted by the Army the same month of '67 as I was.

I'm hoping to have my '292 running for spring 08 I think it's going to take less work than the M-37 which seems to have a sick valve, or something, requiring the engine to come apart.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Yep, that is a M292A2. I have the AC for it - which I need to install (that'll be a job) and I need to locate the heaters for it, and reconnect the duct work (all this was gutter per an envioremtal MWO by the army).

Still need to figure out what to do with the interior - Howard Hammonds had one with a drafting room in the back that was neat - but I imagine all that is long gone.

Truck ran great when I parked it shortly after this photo was taken - but that 530C will blow the doors off of it.

Regards,
David

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Yep, sure can. Just let me know what you want to know.

There were three basic equipment loads that could be added to the vehicle, depending on whether the primary expected use was structure fire, aircraft fire, or grass fire (IIRC), and I have some info on all these.

Best wishes,
David

tamangel

There were three basic equipment loads that could be added to the vehicle, depending on whether the primary expected use was structure fire, aircraft fire, or grass fire (IIRC), and I have some info on all these.
David, when you have time could you post the different equipment packages for each

Mike

let the structure burn, take care of the fire when it moves into the wildland..
ex-USFS crewman

M109808

Mine's currently under restoration. Here top's been taken off to change the clutch. It had to be towed to it's current location due to that component being fried.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks