• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m44a3

goodguyzy

i am apparently the high bidder on a "m44a3" from GSA, here is the description of the vehicle. its a 5 ton a3?

TRUCK CARGO 5 TON M44A3, VEHICLE MAXIMUM GROSS WEIGHT 19580.00 POUNDS; WHEEL QUANTITY 6; DRIVE WHEEL QUANTITY 6; DRIVE AXLE LOCATION FRONT AND REAR; AXLE DRIVE TYPE CONVENTIONAL; AXLE SPEED QUANTITY 2; REAR WHEEL MOUNTING TYPE SINGLE; NOMINAL WHEELBASE 154.00 INCHES; PRIME MOVER TYPE DIESEL ENGINE; MULTIFUEL DESIGN FEATURE NOT INCLUDED; CYLINDER QUANTITY 6; ENGINE BRAKE HORSEPOWER 170.00; ENGINE POWER RATING 170.0 HORSEPOWER; ENGINE HORSEPOWER RATING SPEED IN RPM 2700.0; TRANSMISSION TYPE AUTOMATIC; FORWARD SPEED RANGE QUANTITY 5; FORWARD SPEED QUANTITY PER RANGE 2; REVERSE SPEED QUANTITY 2; WINCH LOCATION FRONT; WINCH TYPE SINGLE DRUM; GYPSYHEAD NOT INCLUDED; MAXIMUM LOAD RATING 17000.0 POUNDS; SEATING CAPACITY 2; CAB TYPE CONVENTIONAL; CAB DOOR QUANTITY 4; CAB ROOF TYPE OPEN; TILTING FEATURE NOT INCLUDED; BATTERY QUANTITY 4; BATTERY VOLTAGE RATING IN VOLTS 24.0; BRAKE ACTUATION METHOD HYDRAULIC; BODY MATERIAL STEEL, CORROSION CORROSION RESISTING; VEHICLE CURB WEIGHT: 14600.0 POUNDS; END ITEM IDENTIFICATION: 2-1/2 TON EXTENDED SERVICE PROGRAM (ESP) TRUCK SERIES M35A3; MAKE: AM GENERAL CORP; MODEL: M44A3; YEAR UNKNOWN; MILEAGE: 3,105, HRS 50.2; WILL START AND RUN. REPAIRS MAY BE NEEDED.

Attachments

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe they are counting the engine compartment doors ;-) Nope, not a 5 ton, just a remanufactured ol' deuce and a half.
Congrats on a running truck!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It tells you at the end its a M35A3. The M44 is the series type. The M35A3 is the type in the series.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
5 ton on road capacity, 2.5 ton offroad capacity. They read the dataplate wrong. The military rates these for their "worst condition max" ergo they call them 2.5 ton models.

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 ton on road capacity, 2.5 ton offroad capacity. They read the dataplate wrong. The military rates these for their "worst condition max" ergo they call them 2.5 ton models.
Sorry clinto, wrong info above. The A3 data plates do not list on / off road capacity.

The A3's are 5000lb cargo period, no doubling for on road.
this is due in part to the combat wheels, the wheels are rated at 4000lb max. and without a even driver the fronts have over 3000 on them.

goodguyzy

Can I ask what you paid for it?
$6,200
i have been watching and bidding on the a3's in Las Vegas on GL, but this one is close to me saving about 500 in transportation costs. so it was worth it to pay a little more than on GL, no 10% to GL, sales tax, euc....etc. so in the end i think i did ok.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sorry clinto, wrong info above. The A3 data plates do not list on / off road capacity.

The A3's are 5000lb cargo period, no doubling for on road.
this is due in part to the combat wheels, the wheels are rated at 4000lb max. and without a even driver the fronts have over 3000 on them.

Thanks, I stand corrected.

LanceRobson

The DOD did away with the "on road" "off road" weight classes more than 20 years ago. Since hten they have all been rated at the lower figure. From memory I would say the change was in the early '80s, maybe a little earlier.

Lance

goodguyzy

when i bought my m35a2 parts mobile (was still in running order) i picked it up the next week of the auction close and drove it back home 5 hours away. The only problem is there are just not that many MV that are worth buying other than for parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks