• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M47 Dump Project Is Home

daytonatrbo

Make sure you wear a hood and respirator too. You do not want to get silica into your lungs. Like breathing broken glass.
Black beauty is where its at. I'd still wear a hood and at least a good particulate mask.

If you put big tarps down, you can recycle the blast media, as long as you can keep it dry.

Another Ahab

Black beauty is where its at. I'd still wear a hood and at least a good particulate mask.

If you put big tarps down, you can recycle the blast media, as long as you can keep it dry.
I don't know sand-blasting much:

- But is "black beauty" a reference to it somehow?

Is that maybe the name of the blast medium or something?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, you're really doing a number on that dumper. Bet she's going to get a full restoration and every nut and bolt will get the attention they deserve!

Looking forward to the girl being put back together, only this time, with FEELING!

OD_Coyote

Wow, you're really doing a number on that dumper. Bet she's going to get a full restoration and every nut and bolt will get the attention they deserve!

Looking forward to the girl being put back together, only this time, with FEELING!
The good thing is the project is to the point where the only way to go now.. is back together.

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

That is AWESOME!! Glad to see you got it and not someone who would part it out; it looks too complete for that. Looks like it didn't come home under its own power; does it currently run/drive but you had it delivered for peace of mind, or does it need some mechanical help to get back on the road first?

I know the "so soon" feeling all too well myself. I'm an 18 year old college student who spent his high school years on an island with no cars so I STILL don't drive, but I found a '68 M35A2 on my local Craigslist. Insurance is what's stopping me but if it's still for sale this spring or if I can strike a deal with the seller that I can leave it in its current location I'll bite.

daytonatrbo

I don't know sand-blasting much:

- But is "black beauty" a reference to it somehow?

Is that maybe the name of the blast medium or something?
(only a year late replying)

Yeah, black beauty is a blast media. Its made of furnace slag, or some random thing. I believe its carbon based rather than silica based. It's much less of a health risk.

Another Ahab

Yeah, black beauty is a blast media. Its made of furnace slag, or some random thing. I believe its carbon based rather than silica based. It's much less of a health risk.
I'm guessing that's likely true, as long as you don't ask your buddy to wash you down with the sand-blasting hose.

:naner:

sandblast.jpg

OD_Coyote

Any progress?
I am sorry to say that aside from collecting the parts, not a lot of progress has been made. The only major items I still need to find are an air-shift xfer case the a set of torque rod ends.
My time has been focused elsewhere (see pic below), but once I complete the auto to manual transmission conversion on my pickup I should be able to focus on the M47 again.
WP_20160713_17_17_20_Rich.jpg

OD_Coyote

That is AWESOME!! Glad to see you got it and not someone who would part it out; it looks too complete for that. Looks like it didn't come home under its own power; does it currently run/drive but you had it delivered for peace of mind, or does it need some mechanical help to get back on the road first?
I heard it run before I bought it, but it had a bad fuel pump, carburetor needed work and the water pump was shot, so I had it transported home. I got it running pretty good and drove it around the yard before I stripped it down to the frame. If you look at post #57 you should be able to view a video of the engine running. I also have a video of it moving under its own power right after I replaced the fuel pump, if you are interested, let me know and I will post the video.

Another Ahab

I heard it run before I bought it, but it had a bad fuel pump, carburetor needed work and the water pump was shot, so I had it transported home. I got it running pretty good and drove it around the yard before I stripped it down to the frame. If you look at post #57 you should be able to view a video of the engine running. I also have a video of it moving under its own power right after I replaced the fuel pump, if you are interested, let me know and I will post the video.
You bet we're interested!

Boy.gif

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any updates? Rare to see a Deuce completely torn apart and done frame up these days.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks