• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M48 cut in 3 pieces now

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well today MACCUS and I were going to receive the new rust free gasser cab/sheetmetal for the M48 in WI. Well the guy gets here from Montana, super late with some minor issues. We unload the perfect cab/sheetmetal and guess what? It's an early 50's rust free gasser REO M48 W/W. Bad thing he cut the frame in front of and behind the cabaua Oh well, Guess I still have the only one. What are the odds??????

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh no!!!!!!!!! That's just crazy. Jim, why did you force him to chop the truck? Does he have any of the odd parts for it? Trip to Montana?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well today MACCUS and I were going to receive the new rust free gasser cab/sheetmetal for the M48 in WI. Well the guy gets here from Montana,
Bad thing he cut the frame in front of and behind the cabaua Oh well, Guess I still have the only one. What are the odds??????

Hmmm...I wonder if you...or Maccus had any choice words to say to the feller....that should not be posted here of course.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh no!!!!!!!!! That's just crazy. Jim, why did you force him to chop the truck? Does he have any of the odd parts for it? Trip to Montana?
He doesn't have any other parts, stripped at the fire dept. MACCUS was going to get the cab and bring it, we didn't know it was a M48, but the guy had already cut it and wanted the whole section gone as one piece and wouldn't send it any other way (wouldn't even let us pull the 2 front cab bolts to remove the cab), so Gene told him it wouldn't fit on the trailer and that ended that route.

reframe it and call it good
If it was reframed with a different frame-S/N may as well build a replica.

Short wheel base guys..................not easy to put another frame under the cab.
The M48 is the long wheelbase deuce tractor (same WB as M35).

Hmmm...I wonder if you...or Maccus had any choice words to say to the feller....that should not be posted here of course.
I saw the plate and didn't tell gene until the guy left for obvious reasons.

The guy was a nice enough guy but it really could have been Wreckerman's western twin. We stripped everything down after he left, no rust ALL bolts EASILY unscrewed. But EVERY one he did in MT was cut with a torch and now I have about 18 to drill and easy out.:twisted: Overall I am very happy with the sheetmetal. I am only missing a gasser fuel tank and the M48 will have all new rust free GASSER sheetmetal.:beer:

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim, are those the pics you went off of when you bought it? The tractor aspect of it stuck out like a sore thumb to me. The quarter fenders, the deck and the standard style fuel tank would have had me seriously suspicious. There has to be one more M48 out there for me to get my hands on. That would be so cool with a multifuel!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deck is slightly different than a M48 and he said it was a M35 modified by a fire department out there, we had no reason to believe it was a M48 when I bought the sheetmetal.

Barrman

Looks good. The battery door is a '53 or newer. The tool box cover though is '52 and older. Curved versus straight front against the fenders.

I do like those offset wipers.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep offset wipers and tool box are going on the M48. Doors fenders and hood are headed to the M59.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks