• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m49a2c wo/w that we are looking at buying

pimpcey

hello. my name is dusty, my dad an I are interested in buying a deuce.i told him I seen one for sale in our little town. so we drive out to it and find out its a m49a2c wo/w. so I call the number on the for sale sign and its a construction type company. a few small haul trucks like a 777 cat ect are in the equipment yard with it also. the guy tells me its a 5 ton truck not a 2.5 ton and he wants 5000 for it. it has break problems. but upon inspection it didn't have full air breaks an the resivor had no fluid in it. the hour meter reads 266 hrs and the milage says 3406 miles. it does have a turbo,hardtop,suspension seats heater an a 5 speed standard trans. is it possible the milage an hours are original or could it be a rebuilt truck? eather way we will probally be buying it. gonna find out if blm would accept it as a contracted water truck. if not we will just take the tank off and sell it and bob the truck to suit or needs. how to tell if its a 5 ton or 2.5 ton truck?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M49 is a 2.5 ton. He is kind of sort of right, as a 2.5 ton is off road rating, 5 ton is on road. But as far as everyone in the real world os concerned, its a deuce and a half.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you would capitalize, it would be much easier to read your posts(and it's out site rule).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
6 or 10 lug nuts.

pimpcey

It is a 6 lug truck. I apologize for my bad spelling and capitalization. I do type a lot in forums and its habit to type fast, most of the time misspelling or forgetting to capitalize.

iatractor

Back when I was in the fuel business, I would have loved to had this truck. Especially for filling center pivot irrigation rigs.

KsM715

As far as hours and milage are concerned its anyones guess. Guages are often swapped out when they go bad and no record of the actual milage goes along with the truck.

If it were me, I'd buy it in a heartbeat at that price, fix the brakes and any other small stuff and flip it for small profit and put that money into a standard deuce to bob.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I wouldn't cut that up to make a bobber, I'd buy it, go through it and either store it or sell it to buy a better truck for a bob.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe in the right of everybody to do with their stuff what they want. I also believe that I should be an educated decision. I fully second clinto's suggestion. If you buy this truck for the price you mentioned (or better), clean it up and re-sell it, you might make some money off it. Get a run-of-the-mill cargo truck to bob. The original M49 tankers are becoming rarer....
s

pimpcey

The problem with reselling it is I live in the middle of nowhere. Literally, its three hours/ 200 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart even. We have about 6000 +-people in our county. Salt Lake City Utah is 4 hours away, Las Vegas is 4 hours away, Reno is 4.5 hours away. So that's why we had decided that if it wasn't contracted to the Bureau Of Land Management for a fire refill truck then we would just bob it so it could fit into our wooded mountain areas a little better. Bigger tires for the snow. I also live at nearly 7000ft above sea level. We hunt, trap and do a lot of other activities outdoors. Including spending 9 hours at night helping pull some friends out of the snow in -0 degree weather. so a big heavy deuce would work great for winching/pulling out a truck that takes 3 half ton trucks chained together to pull out since they don't weigh enough alone. It would be pretty cool to make a water trailer out of this tank with a auxiliary pump like a trash pump. Thumbs crossed on blm contract thou so it can make some money!

RAYZER

Good luck on getting the truck.
If your looking for traction and off road capabilities, leaving a deuce 6x6 instead of converting it to 4x4 would give you maximum results.
Just sayin.

pimpcey

Well the reason we were thinking bobbed is it seems easier to put a trailer bed on then to fab or find one from a m35. An also a lot of the places here require the shorter overall length. How hard is it to find a "good" deuce bed? I know of boyce equipment in salt lake city Utah ( an have a car hauler that might fit just the bed) so ill give them a call after the purchase of the truck to see if they could source a bed. I do like the idea of 6x6 but the bigger tires (52s) would help with the drag of the low hanging axles in the snow/mud. So what's it like to move the rear rear axle back to make room for 6 52" tires?

welldigger

If you leave it 6x6 then I highly suggest 395/85/20's. They are 46" tall and really improve the overall performance of the truck. At least to me they do. They are also the biggest that will fit stock. Going any lager will require extensive fab work. Quite honestly I don't believe the multifuel could handle much more in 6x6.

If you bob it I suggest 14.00-20's. They are 49" tall and require no lift. 16.00-20's (53") will require a lift and really push the limits of the multifuel even in 4x4.

In the end if you buy it then its your truck and do as you please.
Here are a few pictures of my truck with 395's and a buddys bobber with 14.00x20's.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks