• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M49c Trouble Finding Information

vtriflebuilder

I purchased a M49C 2 1/2 ton tanker truck last year circa 1962. It has the OA331 gasser engine. I've mostly used it around the farm to water Christmas trees until recently I removed the tank and turned it into a dump truck. It's now getting a lot more highway use and the other day it was giving me trouble making it home. Seemed like it wasn't getting enough fuel (my first thought is fuel filter). All that to say that I've decided it's time she had a tune up (I know, it's overdue). The problem is that I haven't found any parts information for this engine. I've seen lots of threads related to the deuce parts list and cross reference sheets but they appear to be for the multi-fuel or diesel models. I know it's probably just like when I'm looking for socks in the morning and my wife tells me to open my eyes, but if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I'm looking for filters (oil, fuel, and air) and spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. And anything else I should do for a tune up on something that hasn't been touched mechanically in 15+ years.

Thanks in Advance,
Matthew

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oil filter is Fram C31 or equivalent. Air filter is non replaceable oil bath. Fuel filter is an in tank membrane that is no longer widely available. Most folks replace this with an inline filter after the pump. Tune up parts come from White Owl Parts, Memphis Equipment, others?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Also don't rule out NAPA. They've helped us find "unobtainum" type stuff or a direct replacement. Once again though...they are usually pretty proud of it.

vtriflebuilder

Thank you all for responding. I'm amazed how fast I get information on here when I post a question. I will look into the sources mentioned.

NDT: Is the fuel filter membrane in the tank the removable screen right underneath the fill? Or something before the outgoing fuel line?

Jeepsinker

It is not the screen you see when you open the fuel cap. You have to pull the pump to see it, it is connected to the pump. You could likely buy a multifuel engine and trans to swap in for a bit less than the parts you need are going to cost you.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you all for responding. I'm amazed how fast I get information on here when I post a question. I will look into the sources mentioned.

NDT: Is the fuel filter membrane in the tank the removable screen right underneath the fill? Or something before the outgoing fuel line?
Not the removable screen, rather a porous stone type material in the shape of a cylinder hanging at the base of the fuel pickup.

vtriflebuilder

Thanks NDT and Jeepsinker. The idea of swapping out the engine and trans is an interesting one. Any idea of where I could find one and what kind of cost? If it is indeed the fuel filter that's clogged and I decide to replace it with an in-line fuel filter can I simply remove the existing fuel filter? Or will it need a different style fuel pump?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look in the tank with an inspection mirror to see if the filter is there. If so just remove it and replace the pickup.