• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M50 Series Brush Truck Conversions

BrushMaster Builder

I posted earlier photos of our M939 Series Brush Truck conversions and am now posting some we did early on that we did for the Corpus Christi Texas Fire Department on M54 chassis. The trucks were repowered with Cummins 6CTA 8.3 and MT654. Some of equipment and apparatus added were:

1000 Gallon poly tank with 20 Gallon Foam Cell
Waterous 300 GPM Pump with Kubota 4 cylinder diesel
Akron remote forestry montior (turret)
FLIR Camera Systems
Infared three way back-up cameras
All LED conversion to include headlights
Air ride seats
Three point red seat belts
200 Amp Alternator
24-12 volt conversion
Super single conversion

Attachments

Danger Ranger

Lookin good. Well done. I like the diamond plate, but Im not so sure about the pipe underneath it on the bumper. Either way, it looks mean.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent work with the trucks. Sounds like a good business venture as well. A little nomenclature nit pick, the early 5 tons were known as M39 series.

BrushMaster Builder

Excellent work with the trucks. Sounds like a good business venture as well. A little nomenclature nit pick, the early 5 tons were known as M39 series.
Many thanks. We got this truck basically in pieces. I saw remnants of the data plate that had imprinted is was built in 1967 by Kaiser. Which model would it be then?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pictured truck looks like a swb M52A2 tractor. The lwb cargo was the M54, the M39 was the lwb cab and chassis.

rammer64

The truck in the build pics appear to be an M813. At least the air filter is from an M813. The M54 series did not have the intake bonnet on the top like that.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, it's not an M813. Definitely a G-744 / M39 series truck. With the length behind the wheels, I'd guess M54. There looks to be enough room for the tool box in front of the first set of rear wheels (if it had 11x20's). And yes, the A1's and A2's in the M39 series had the air filter on the passenger side fender. The winshield looks like a memphis unit.

What a beautiful truck.

Last edited:

rammer64

After closer examination of the pics., You are correct! I was seeing that intake bonnet sticking up and thought it was an 800 series air filter. I'm pretty sure that the M54 just had a turned down intake elbow point down towards the fender. The windshield is definitely not an 800 series. Good call!

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Rammer64,

The A1's usually had a Donaldson Pre Cleaner with a turned up elbow, but not always, I've seen them both ways. My A1 has the elbow turned up with Pre Cleaner. Most A2's have the elbow turned downward to the side without Pre Cleaner, but again, some may have a Pre Cleaner. My A2 is turned downward without Pre Cleaner.

That windshield is an aftermarket unit, I usually associate them with the Memphis rebuilds. The 809 series, G-744 series and G-742 series trucks all use the same cab, windshields and windshield frame (a few minor differences to the cabs of each series, windshiels are indentical).

Last edited:

BrushMaster Builder

Màny thanks guys for all the model clarification insight and comments. The truck was originally purchased by the Corpus Christi Fire Dept back in the 90s. Needless to say when we got it you could put your fist thru the floorplan.

BrushMaster Builder

Màny thanks guys for all the model clarification insight and comments. The truck was originally purchased by the Corpus Christi Fire Dept back in the 90s from Memphis. Needless to say when we got it you could put your fist thru the floorplan.

BrushMaster Builder

Màny thanks guys for all the model clarification insight and comments. The truck was originally purchased by the Corpus Christi Fire Dept back in the 90s from Memphis. Needless to say when we got it you could put your fist thru the floorpan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks