• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51 dump truck hydraulics and dump trailers

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something I want to discuss at the rally as well.

Did anybody ever modified the M51 dump hydraulic system to make it multifunctional?

Moving the pump and reservoir

On the M51, the hydraulic pump is driven by the rear PTO. It is connected to the subframe, same as the reservoir and the dump cylinders. The pump actually sticks out below the main frame. Nice if you never take of the dumb bed but a horror if you want to have a multifunctional truck. So my idea is to keep the locations more or less identical but fix both the pump and the reservoir to the main frame. Then, it is easier to take the subframe off and I keep the hydraulic power system available when in "tractor mode". Anybody ever did this or thought about it?

Multifunctional pump

Dump hydraulics pump powers dump trailer and other hydraulic applications. It means that the pump will get quick-release adapters so we can disconnect the main dump or switch a lever and power a dump trailer or suspension legs (to lift the wheels of the ground) etc etc. Anybody ever thought about that?

Dump trailer

To my big surprise, most of the old farming tractors trailers here (up to 15 000 lbs loading capacity) have two single-system cylinders - on in the front and one in the back - making the trailer a side dumper for either left or right (not rear). My son actually has a small one and I can get a bigger size for peanuts. These trailers are normally powered by the tractor hydraulics; they do not have their own pump or reservoir. Could I borrow such a farm dump trailer and run it off the adapted M51 system or does the mixing of oils cause problems. If the latter, we would have to buy one especially for the M51, which is not very cost effective.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My answer is not super application specific but I plan on putting a wetline on a 925 that I have pretty much converted into a long version of a 932. I will be running a dump trailer or a Landoll trailer off of the system. I do know that larger cylinders are going to require more hydraulic fluid capacity than the stock reservoir on the 925 can produce. I am going to put twin 120 gallon tanks on the truck the driver side tank will be used for diesel fuel and the passenger-side tank will be used for hydraulic fluid. I know this did not completely answer your question but I hate to post something and not get any replies. Below is a picture of the truck so far.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks