• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51A2 Front Wheel Wobble?

04tdiwagon

Hey guys, I am looking at buying what I believe is a 67 M51A2. It's a 5 ton 6x6 with the 465 multifuel engine and the dump bed. I talked to the place that owns it currently and they say the front wheels start wobbling pretty bad once you get some speed up. Any idea what that may be? I think I could get it for about 1000 bucks, seem like a good deal? It has about 46k miles on it, not sure on the hours yet. Supposed to run but the batteries are dead they say. I am familar with steering systems on just about every light vehicle out there but this not something I have looked under before and want to know what I need to look for when I go look at it this saturday. Any if the batteries are dead, I can still jump start it and drive it since it has such low electrical draws right? Let me know what you guys think! I will look at it this weekend and see if I can get some pictures up of everything!
Thanks
Mack

jatonka

It will be a drag link or steering box problem if both front wheels wobble while driving. One wheel, indicates a tie rod end. All parts are available, $1000 is very reasonable for a M51A2. JT out

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be as easy as a low tire or a tire that is messed up.

supermechanic

Agreed on price, buy it now, before someone else does.
I had a bad shake-wobble on mine, If I hit a hole or a big bump at speed, the front end would jump like a shot-at rabbit. Truck bounced so bad I whacked my head on the cab top a few times (which might explain a few things about me).
I looked at the wheel bearings, tierod ends, ect.
Never did find the problem.
Because of poor steering traction, I changed to commercial 12x22.5 tires on the front.
I have not had the wobble-shake since.
It may be tire related, I just know what worked in my case.