• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m51a2 wire harness

jwright

Well I got started two weeks ago on a big project. The wiring was shot, nothing worked at all. So I started by carefully pulling the front wiring harness and labeling every thing. Printed off the circuit number list found in the resources. Then I built two platforms to lay the harness out on one and build the new one on the other. I order all the stuff from ERIK'S, started with 40 male, 30 female, 5 "Y"s, 5 double connectors, and 225 feet of 14 AWG Prestolite wire. Got the harness put up on the platform with electrical hangers and 3" screws. Where ever I put a hanger or screw to hold the old harness I would put one in the same spot for the new one. So one at a time I pulled a wire out of the old harness and make a new one. I then put the old wire back in the old harness and the new wire into the new harness. Well 225' got me about half way, so I got another 225' on the way. So far every thing looks real good. I going to be able to reuse the big 12 pin and 4 pin connectors. I will get the wire this Friday so I can get back at it.

Attachments

area52

Thats looking nice!![thumbzup]

Question: On the start switch, does it go through a circuit breaker? If so, what size/type?

My M54A2 wiring is not so good around that area on the firewall and its missing one or two circuit breakers and I think one goes to my start switch wiring.

jwright

I have three breakers on the fire wall. One for the horn, manifold heater,and one for something called an outlet socket. Then there is one that is under the dash for the gauges.
There are about 6-8 wire junction blocks that you can not see because of all the electrical tape on the harness. So one wire that comes off the master switch when switch on powers up the following, power to the start button, low air switch, fuel pump, fuel transfer pump switch, manifold heater switch.

Attachments