• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51A2 won't shut down

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got my 1952 Mack M51A2 home this week. After new batteries she starts and runs. But when I pull the engine stop knob out it keeps running. Being new to this I don't know what "normal" is as far as how it should feel or how far it should move.

The first picture shows the engine stop out ad far as it seemed to want to go. The others are the engine side with the engine stop in or out.

Do these appear to be normal positions? Or so I need to adjust?

If normal, then what am I looking for next?

Attachments

big block 88

Looks to me like it isnt pulling all the way out. If u cant get her shut down im sure you know u can just snuff it out with a board or phone book.

Im not sure on those older trucks if they only used a mechanical kill lever. Or if it had an electric kill solenoid like the 855 cummins. Hopefully someone more educated than myself will chime in

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has the multifuel. From what I can tell that's the only shutdown. So far, I've just been stalling it out to kill it. Not ideal, but works for now. I was hoping it was just an adjustment, but didn't know. Figured I would ask those that were more familiar with it.

dmetalmiki

Take off the cable at the pump. PULL the shutdown rod until the engine stops. (and) Adjust from there. (at least) that is what I would do for a start, well stop, you know what I mean..

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M543A2 with the same problem, I don't think your cable is pulling the kill plunger out far enough to shut off the fuel flow. I had to pull mine out by hand and I was surprised how far the plunger had to travel before the fuel was interrupted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks