• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A1 Max speed

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What should be the top speed of an M52A1 (Mack with Spicer 6453 xmsn) with governor set at 2200 rpm, and stock 11.00x20 tires ? Is there anything that can be done to increse it, other than tire size?

AMGeneral

Between 50 and 52 mph,and I wouldn't rev it over 1950 rpms for long periods. I know Papabear's Proud American guntruck will do 60(verified) in stock form.

I don't wanna tell you what to do with your truck,but being there are fewer and fewer A1 trucks out there,I would think seriously before modding it in any way that can not be reversed easily,I know it has been covered before,but 50 is about the max safe speed in most tactical MVs.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
50 to 51 mph is what I am getting out of it.
As far as modding it, we did do a few mods, but don't think you would have an issues with it.

Before mods and after mods pic below.

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

50 to 51 mph is what I am getting out of it.
As far as modding it, we did do a few mods, but don't think you would have an issues with it.

Before mods and after mods pic below.
Its about time you guys post pics...............I was not going to hold out much longer!!!

vtdeucedriver

You have saved a pretty rare tractor, and did a beautiful job on it, thank you. JT
Hey JT, you remember Wayne at Ft. Drum??? He was the NCOIC of "RED BARON"? They replicated his tractor in VN!![thumbzup] Not that I had any influance on that decision

Now what Jim has not said but should be VERY PROUD, as thats a SPECIAL TRACTOR!!! On the dash, the bottom 3rd data plate is a OVERHAUL tag from a facility in JAPAN dated OCT 1972!! Both Brandon (AKA AMGENERAL David Doyle and myself are 98% convinced that she is a ACTUAL VIETNAM VETERAN!!

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That is a beautiful tractor. PLEASE don't abuse her...or turn her up...or anything else.

Any speed from 50-55 is good for her.[thumbzup]

Proud American is a freak...and we only pushed her to 60 twice, won't happen again..she is happy at 52-55.:grin:

After all...we don't need to impress anyone...just get from point A to B safely...that's what matters IMO.:driver:

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a beautiful tractor. PLEASE don't abuse her...or turn her up...or anything else.

Any speed from 50-55 is good for her.[thumbzup]
I assume you mean by "turn her up" to adjust the fuel injection level up. However, I am thinking I need to turn her up a little bit. I am thinking it is running a little to lean. The exhaust is really clean, no matter the engine speed or load. I am thinking it should be blowing a little bit black exhaust under load or acceleration. I am concerned that running her lean can cause as much problems as having her turned up to high.

I have looked around and have not been able to find a way to properly set the fuel adjustment with the engine in the truck. Does anyone know where I can find that info?

vtdeucedriver

I assume you mean by "turn her up" to adjust the fuel injection level up. However, I am thinking I need to turn her up a little bit. I am thinking it is running a little to lean. The exhaust is really clean, no matter the engine speed or load. I am thinking it should be blowing a little bit black exhaust under load or acceleration. I am concerned that running her lean can cause as much problems as having her turned up to high.

I have looked around and have not been able to find a way to properly set the fuel adjustment with the engine in the truck. Does anyone know where I can find that info?
Jim, Brandon, AKA AMGeneral is who you need to chat with.

rickf

Very nice looking truck. Although I am not a fan of bling I really like the look of the wheels, just the right amount of contrast. I agree with the others, if it is in fact a true survivor then do nothing to it at all. It will not hurt to run a diesel lean, it is not a gas engine so the theories are totally different. It will hurt to run to rich unless you are using a pyro and watching it closely. Rich on a diesel, ie; black smoke rich will raise exhaust gas temps. Too hot and bye bye pistons!

Rick

vtdeucedriver

Well most of us are of "Adult" age so "Bling" may not be out thing today but if you think back when you were 18, what did you do to your car? Well put a 18 yr old with a piece of equipment that he is going to operate, well.

Here is a pic of Wayne's tractor in Vietnam. His commander said " I bet your thinking that you are not going to get it dirty" He had pride in it and was rewarded with a offer of his own GUN TRUCK. He was given "THE SAINT" and quickly went to work. A short time after, he did a complete repaint and made "RED BARON" to go along with another company truck named "SNOOPY"
Wayne has now been rewarded once again 40 yrs later as now BOTH of his truck in Vietnam have been replicated. His tractor in TX and his GT in the UK.

Attachments

444RedBaron

I'm not sure just what to say,but here goes. First off to those of you who don't know me,I'm Wayne Dobos. It was my 5 ton tractor that Jim and Devin replicated. They nailed it down to the very last detail and did an outstanding job of it! It's hard for me to believe that after 41 years my old #16 would come back to life. This old road humper couldn't be more proud!

444RedBaron

I'm not sure of the exact meaning of bling,but I would like to think that what I did to ol #16 was more on the order of pride. After all without bling as some of you call it,where would the gun trucks be? Plain OD boxes with guns on them.