• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52a1

mortarman

Hello all, it's been sometime since I was on the forum . I've had my M52A1 for 3 years now and just started to restore it. It had quite a bit of rust in the cab so it is a cab off resto.
Regards
Colin.

vtdeucedriver

Oh wow. You want to make a extra set of rocker repair panels??? :) Just kidding as the shipping from Aus would cost more than the metal. That by far has to be the worst rotted G744 cab ive seen and I thought my 54A2 was bad!!!! I will do a cab swap on it one day.

vtdeucedriver

The top was a test fit as I had to also make one heater channel. I started this cab last weekend by the way so I've been going at it for a week now.:)
Wow that makes sense now. I had seen the equipment your working with but at the rate your going at it with pictures, I figured you had a team of manpower going at it.

You have a message in your in box.

BTW if nobody says it...............................Thank you for saving that old truck!!!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too bad shipping is so much, I know of a flawless M52 cab very cheap in SD.

mortarman

I am just doing this on my own but I do have some really nice equipment and tools. I would love to have just bought another cab, but i'm sure if you did find one it would be the same or worse than this one. This truck came from Hawaii a few years back and I think is was pretty close to the sea for a long time. Are the Mack model rare in the US as I don't see many threads about them.
The back panel was not worth saving so I made a very crude press tool to make a complete new panel. I made the longest one first then did the two pressings. Then cut it down as I won't ever use it again and then pressed the smaller ones.

Attachments

mortarman

I had to make a bottom type of hammering tool to get the 90 deg bend all along the bottom. I used a piece of 1/2' thick steel and clamped the panel to it then slowly hammered and formed the bottom as close as I could get it.

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

Oh wow you made a whole new back panel...............wow.

Mack powered trucks are not as common as the Multifuel.........don't care what AMG says :wink:. Whats your plan for paint after all the metal work is done??

Here is a picture of my Multifuel tractor with the correct M-127 trailer.

Attachments

mortarman

Now that looks great!! Did you do it all up and is there a thread of it. I want to find a trailer to suit later as I would like to put a M3 Stuart on it as a nice combination. As far as the paint scheme, I took a good sample from under the dash to my paint supplier to get a match for the green. I won't do it in Camo as I got some parts from Dave at Eastern Supply in the US sent over last year. I needed a couple of front mud guards, a door, 3 new soft tops, some seats and other bits and pieces to complete the truck. The engine has only done 10k miles and it runs beautifully. Oh! I also got 10 near new wheels sent over as well. It was very expensive by the time it all got here but being rare over here I figured it would be well worth it. I think they look very cool!
Colin!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks