• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52a1

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Subscribed to keep up with the progress. Old school metal work, it's an lost art. Nice work.
JC

mortarman

IMG_0462.jpgRegy 016.jpgHello everyone, I need some information please. I'm confused wether my truck is a M52A1 or is it a M818. Mine has the Mack engine with the cut out in the chassis to accommodate the Mack. it has a straight grill and the air filter on the right fender. The original data plate say's it's a M818. I'm sure with the wealth of knowledge here some one can shed some light on this for me.
Regards
Colin.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Judging by the shape of the grill, location of air filter, and style of air filter you can be assured it is an M52A1 with the Mack engine. To be sure the M809 series (M818 exactly in this case) would have the cummins 250, which has no turbo, and your most recent photo shows one. The data plates can be swapped but the serials can't so compare it to what's stamped on the driver side frame under the front fender. I'd bet they don't match up.

Last edited:

ducer

What year does your title say it is? According to your data plate it says it is a 71. What are your frame numbers? Do they match the data plate? (doubtful)

Denny

mortarman

I had a look for the numbers on the chassis rail. Is that where the numbers are suppose to be. Also on No26 picture 1, I have a plate sitting on the rear wheels, can anyone shed some light if it belongs to this truck. It came with it but was not fitted so I'm a bit baffled.
Regards
Colin.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What thickness of sheet metal you used for the simple body work? I have to repair some parts as well on my M51A2.

green crazy

You did a great job in your restoration,I have two M-52 to restore one w/6602 and the other w/ a multifuel. Your work proves to everyone what dedication can achieve! Terry

mortarman

Thankyou all for your comments. It's not perfect but quite rare in Australia and I'm happy with the outcome. I just need to find a good old trailer somewhere down here.
Colin.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome work, mortarman! Those 5-ton from the Vietnam era are getting hard to find in nice shape, even in USA. Thanks for saving a piece of history, it took a lot of effort on your part...

For those who say, "this truck isn't worth all that effort, find a nicer truck to restore", remember where he is. USA-made military trucks are rare in Australia, and shipping for parts from the dealers in USA to him couldn't be higher, since Australia is basically exactly on the other side of the world as we are.