• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A2 (LDT 465-1A) engine question

rcflyer70

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question but I have very little experience with diesel engines (I've owned an Reo M35 gasser for 17 years) - I recently changed the oil in my M52A2 and took the truck on a short drive. Upon returning, I checked the oil to ensure the level was correct and it was black as night. The motor kicks out alot of black exhaust when idling or going down the road. I haven't noticed any specific issues with the truck - awesome power and it starts and idles fine. Do I have an issue or is this normal? Thanks for any help

Brian

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On just about any diesel, you can change the oil and it will go from clear to black in short order. No need to worry about that.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I would not worry about the black oil...that's the nature of the diesel.
I would however keep an eye on the oil level and viscosity just to be sure there's not a little diesel getting in the oil.
Troy's M52A2 smokes a little as well while idling or under heavy load...I'd call that pretty normal.[thumbzup]

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rcflyer,
Yep they will turn the oil black almost immediately. By the way it is an LDS465-1A not an LDT. Check out the thread on the differences, a lot of good information coming out in that.

For some reason it seems most of the LDS engines do smoke much more than the LDT's. Off idle it should clean-up except under heavy load.

Ord22

the LDS do smoke more than the LDT, its just there nature. the oil is normal after being changed. do you notice your oil level on the dipstick getting above full mark? if so, you could be getting fuel in your oil. Do this, pull the dipstick out and smell it to see if fuel is on the stick.

fasttruck

If you measured to quanity of oil put in the engine when refilling it the level is typically 1-2" above the full mark on the dip stick. Drive the truck and when it is shut down check oilk and is should be on full mark. Aftyer vehicle sits over night oil should be above the full mark prior to startiong engine: unless you have one of Jtonka's after market spin on filter conversons. amry wants all the opil to enter pan in artic conditions and a oil pan heater is used.

m816

I turned the smoke down on my LDSa1 and found I lost a little power but it cleared up a lot of smoke. I will re tune it so iit smokes a little more when we put it back together just to get some of the power back. Secret to getting some more top end out of them is to put a overdrive trans out of the 800 series trucks in them. I truck along between 60-65 on the flat but it can go over 65. I'm not going to push it like that any more since I just blew the govenor housing to the IP. I can also get those speeds with the tag along trailer loaded with the M-114 on it. gets a little doggy on the hills though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks