• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A2 Starting Problem

AaronHorrocks

I just need a pointer on where to start tracking down this problem.

When the truck is cold, (sometimes when warm too) I hit the starter button, and get nothing. If I hold it in, there's a long delay before the starter clicks and then turns over the truck.

Before I do far more work than nessisary, I'm sure someone out here knows what my exact problem is. ;-)

Am I rebuilding the starter, or replacing a few small parts?

chris837rj

I has a M35A2 with a similar problem. When you hit the starter button you got nothing or a quick bump of the starter then nothing. It was a loose power cable to the solenoid. When the starter got enough power to run it vibrated the cable loose and quit again. As for your problem get a friend to start it while you probe voltage at the starter. if it stays above 21 or 22 volts you may have a weak or corroded solenoid. First thing to do is to remove the wires and wire brush them then re torque. Also look for signs of damage to the wires like a loose crimp fitting. Good Luck!

Bushman5000

Had the same problem on my 109, but with a loose wire on my relay just above the solenoid/starter. Had a buddy hold down the starter button while I wiggled wires until it started and scared the livin daylights out of me. Gets loud from a foot away!

AaronHorrocks

Bad ground or weak battery................more towards bad ground.
My batteries were dying, and I hoped that was it. I replaced 'em and it didn't help.

I've also checked all the large gauge cables several times. Looks like I'll be checking the smaller wires to the relay next time I go visit my truck. Thanks guys.

vtdeucedriver

My batteries were dying, and I hoped that was it. I replaced 'em and it didn't help.

I've also checked all the large gauge cables several times. Looks like I'll be checking the smaller wires to the relay next time I go visit my truck. Thanks guys.

Well then the relay connections is next. Do what they said above.

AaronHorrocks

I get to say it again.

Check the plug on the back of your starter button. Have your one hand resting on the plug while you try starting it with the other. When nothing happens.....keep the button in and wiggle the plug.....pushing in, and a little side to side.
That was the first thing I did. And I did it several times. :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks