• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A2 Tractor - to - Cargo Done, Ready for Paint!

Hkx3

Well its been a bit of work, but all worth it. Made all my own bracketry, used gr. 8 hardware throughout (new), and couldnt be happier.

Now its on to a little bodywork and a fresh coat of paint.

Only thing it needs mechanically now is a new wiper motor on the pass. side.

Have a look:

Attachments

emr

This is one swweeett truck!!!!... :D ...Great job U did on that truck, I wish I did it.!!!It looks awesome, im sure U are proud of her for sure, and your work also, fine, fine job!!!!!...now this is an MV post! and one of the better ones...Randy

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: M52A2 Tractor - to - Cargo Done, Ready for Paint

Wow! Where did you find such an awsome cargo bed to go on that truck?

Seriously. That truck looks great! I'm proud to be part of the effort, though I didn't share in the "work" end of the project.

I give it a 10!

Just raw, COOL!

Hkx3

Thanks a lot for all the favorable replies!!

For you guys asking about the install pics, Ill try tonight to help you out.

Its straightforward. You can see in the first pics Im drilling/clearancing the 1"x3" spacer blocks for the frame. These had to be clearanced for the 3/4" rivets that hold the frame together. By sitting around the rivets, I avoided having to punch more holes in the frame to hold them on. This way, I could use the pressure from the bed, and the mounting brackets to keep them from walking.

As for the brackets, I made them using 3/8"x2" stock, cut to 12" lengths. I bent them 90 degrees at 4", leaving 8" of straight. These I bolted to the frame with 2 spaced 1/2" bolts, and to the bed with 1 5/8" bolt. Military uses 8 mounting points, I used 8 mounting points. However, mine are slightly different. I ended up cutting the factory headache rack mount points for the tractor, and using them as forward bed mounts, since they were solidly mounted, and made from 3/8" stock.

One thing I was excited about was seeing how 'right' the bed looks on a short frame tractor. Seemed to really come together.

Ill get some more pics up.

thanks again for the replies.

Hkx3

Where can I find some pics of his conversion?

As for paint, Im going with the old Vietnam era green, and the offwhite lettering/ID.

Im going to do the matte black frame and drivetrain, and wheels.

I think that looks so so 'classy' if thats possible for a MV.

;)

rockman

Excellent work and conversion. this idea certainly give more thought to getting a tractor and converting it. where did you find the bed?

thanks for sharing, Bill

WOR

Hkx3

Sourced the bed from OIFVET here on the boards. He and I swapped tractor stuff for cargo stuff.

Speaking of OIF, we need to talk.

I have your taillight, and tell your people at the restoration shop to keep the brackets, no need in paying freight on something I dont need now.

TIA

ETA: Could someone point me toward the number/name of the old dark green used during 'Nam, generally associated with only white numbering? Thanks

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hkx3,

I hope my truck looks as awesome as a tractor conversion as your truck does as a cargo conversion!!

Thanks again for the opportunity to trade everything as we did!

Looks great!

(PM sent)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great, the paint even kinda lines up. I've driven JWCs truck, it's plenty cool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks