• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A2W Buying Opportunity.. Good or Bad?

Jacoby11437

Hello all new to the forum, though I have browsed for years. I have always been interested in all wheel drive heavy equipment since I was a kid, which was not too terribly long ago. And have always wanted one though am just now to the point in my life where I can get one.. maybe.
Anyways I have found one my local craigslist -Birmingham- an M52A2W as it is labeled on the plate in the cab. For what I think is a pretty exceptional price of 2900 bucks.
Some info on the truck.. he said it has a Mack Turbo diesel. Though I am unconvinced as I thought those were less common than the highly available Hercules engines. Will post a couple pics I snapped while there..
It's missing the seats, and front driveshaft, which makes me wonder why it was removed.. possibly a condition with the front axle or something else?
It runs and drives, but doesn't come with batteries. We had to put one in and hot wire the starter solenoid because the ignition switch is not getting power. But with a couple shots of starting fluid, just a small spray, she came alive and purred like a kitten.
It has like 90 something thousand miles. Forgot the hours.
It has electrical issues no doubt.
But for a use of nothing more than a woods toy I believe this is an exceptional deal.
What are y'all opinions? Anything else I should look for when I go back? Here are some pics.IMG_20170922_151825305.jpgIMG_20170922_151728588.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, much less parts available for the mack then the multifuel, but its a stronger motor. I would bet the issue is with the T case rather than the front axle. Probably the sprague

Jacoby11437

Ok that's I guess not a bad thing if the parts availability is larger for it.. could someone elaborate please what a Sprague is? I'm assuming something in the front half of the transfer case that drives the shaft? It didn't make any gear crunching noises or anything abnormal.. I took it through all the gears in low and high range.. I was also thinking perhaps since this was a tank truck that with all the additional weight of water they might have removed it for binding reasons? Or wasn't a brush truck perhaps?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Climb underneath and look for your drive shafts. A really important one is the short shaft without which a lot of nothing occurs. Nice rig! I bought mine from a rural fire station. It's a M52A2 turned into a tanker. I dumped the water tank and have slowly been returning it to stock. Good luck!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I had a multi-fuel tractor.....I used it to pull a van trailer I bought at Eglin AFB in Fla to Northeast Alabama.

On flat land I could make 45 mph........wouldn't pull a greasy string out of a fat cat's arse.

In low range they'll pull ell's half acre if you can chain up to it.

TaylorTradingCo

You had a 2 1/2-ton multi-fuel tractor, this is a 5-ton, pretty big difference in power, no offense.
Derek

I had a multi-fuel tractor.....I used it to pull a van trailer I bought at Eglin AFB in Fla to Northeast Alabama.

On flat land I could make 45 mph........wouldn't pull a greasy string out of a fat cat's arse.

In low range they'll pull ell's half acre if you can chain up to it.

pa.rich

Wreckerman,you are right about not being a speed wagon but also right about the pulling power of the M52's low range in 1st gear. I pulled a dead Case 850 up a steep mountain road, with two heavy chains and a full load of dirt on her for traction. Got the loader to the shop and fixed it. I swear the dump truck was grinning like I was as it towed the dead iron. I was impressed. I still have the old dog and use it for moving dirt, field stone and large logs.Mostly always in low range.Unless empty and feeling the need to move faster. Just a land improvement truck and can't overload this thing. She always delivers and had to add 18" high sideboards to haul more. Dump always dumps it with ease with the double pistons. I love it but hardly use it anymore. But when I need it, I am like a little kid with a new bike. I have a small chevy 3500 4wd, with air and all the bells and whistles, but hauls very little compared to an old work horse like the 5 ton . 5 ton is an understatement. And I am talking steep mountain trails. Work was never this fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks