• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54 Bobed ready to roll

sidewinder

I finished up last weekend the wheels after mounting tires. What a hump. Well here it is with XZL tires. Someone on SS said I would in time forget the humping work ,not yet so far...

Bed is from a 101 trailer. I wont mention where I got rims from but a hint. They took 5 months for a 3 week promised order.

There is some serious ground clearance in fact I may need to put a swing down step to get up on running plate. My smaller car next to M54

The 5 ton M54 has power steering which with out I would never turn the XZL tires. 20,000 lb winch on front and of course the M66 for my fishing pole rigging.

I put on a NAPA muffler so I could hear my self think. Muffler made a big improvement.
I am looking forward to go down Cruz around. I don't think it would fit in the drive through pick up.
Rob ... _._

Attachments

supermechanic

RE: M54 Bobed duce ready to roll

Very nice looking unit.
Do you have some pics of the rear axle detail?
Pardon my ignorance if this post is a piece at the end of a long string of articles, I usually don't look at the deuce pages.
This page caught my eye because I never heard of a m54 'deuce'.
Thanks.

sidewinder

Re: RE: M54 Bobed duce ready to roll

Pardon my misquote it is a 5Ton and will fix the topic line. I will take some rear picture tomorrow or soon as possible. It is set up like it was before chassis shortened.
Rob
supermechanic said:
Very nice looking unit.
Do you have some pics of the rear axle detail?
Pardon my ignorance if this post is a piece at the end of a long string of articles, I usually don't look at the deuce pages.
This page caught my eye because I never heard of a m54 'deuce'.
Thanks.

M1075

Your truck looks great! [thumbzup]

sidewinder said:
I wont mention where I got rims from but a hint. They took 5 months for a 3 week promised order.
I am surprised that this is common knowledge and our members still place orders with this guy. It must be the "it won't happen to me" syndrome.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: M54 Bobed ready to roll

That truck rocks to think someone would pay 90,000 dollars for one of those new International Heavy Duty pick ups when they could have one like yours.

Very nice truck and can't wait to see some pics of it in action like riding over a car or pulling out of a mud hole.

Did you put on the fender braces or where they there when you got the truck? If you made them they look great any dimensions and specs on them would be greatly apprcieated. I too would like to see it are you planning on driving it to Abereen for the rally?

sidewinder

M1075 said:
Your truck looks great! [thumbzup]

sidewinder said:
I wont mention where I got rims from but a hint. They took 5 months for a 3 week promised order.
I am surprised that this is common knowledge and our members still place orders with this guy. It must be the "it won't happen to me" syndrome.
when first ordered I did not know about SS but it will never happen again

David_4x4

Re: RE: Re: M54 Bobed ready to roll

sidewinder said:
David_4x4 said:
Nice! 8)

Only thing I would do is lower the gun ring.
I did not know where to start. Ill will set up ma deuce and see where it is positioned

Rob ... _._
Im 6ft.

I lowered the legs practically to the top of the cab bows. The legs are only high enough to remove the top.

Where it's at the lower back rest is, well, at my lower back. Makes swinging the ring much simpler.

sidewinder

Re: RE: Re: M54 Bobed ready to roll

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
That truck rocks to think someone would pay 90,000 dollars for one of those new International Heavy Duty pick ups when they could have one like yours.

Very nice truck and can't wait to see some pics of it in action like riding over a car or pulling out of a mud hole.

Did you put on the fender braces or where they there when you got the truck? If you made them they look great any dimensions and specs on them would be greatly apprcieated. I too would like to see it are you planning on driving it to Aberdeen for the rally?
Fender braces came with truck but are just 1" flat bar bent and mounted for support.

I dont know if Im driving this there or not. If I get some back up support to drive along for break down help. Any one going to drive down to Aberdeen form E. PA?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: M54 Bobed ready to roll

It musta been a Navy Seabees truck! Those braces are trademark Seabees

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

That's a sharp truck. Would sure like to see how you mounted the rear end. Thanks

Lee in Alaska

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

That truck just looks plain mean! Looks like something out of "Road Warrior"!

sidewinder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: M54 Bobed ready to roll

rosco said:
That's a sharp truck. Would sure like to see how you mounted the rear end. Thanks

Lee in Alaska
I had the rear wheels spring shackle mounts cut from frame. Rear wheels were moved forward and re bolted with space to allow for clearance for fuel tank and larger wheels. Bed situated center axle. It happens there is enough of drive shaft length to accommodate this.The frame was then cut. The tow hitch and cross brace re welded to accommodate for bed length and opening of tail gate. Pictures will follow this weekend.

55Cameo

Great truck, sorry for anyone that has to deal with Daniel at USA6x6 though. I feel your pain. Keep everyone posted on pics and action shots!

PaFarmer

Rob

Your truck really looks good. I got my Deuce. You mount the .50 for camping this year.

Chip