• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54 fuel pump over fuelling

Dave Wigham

Firstly,
its a long time since I was here last so Hello to all, Happy Christmas/New Year/Thanks giving etc and birthday for all those things I've missed.

Anyway, I've had for a long time a pair of M54s on 1400X20s, one has sat in the barn since I got it. Now that I've started to take her out I see she is seriously smoky so I'm thinking of trying to turn the pump down so it delivers less fuel.
I can't find any hints in my TMs especially TM9-2815-210-34.
I suspect the previous dealer owner may have turned to pump up.
The timing is spot (line) on with the front cylinder rockers both loose.

I seem to remember it's the little nut on the front of the density compensator and it must only be turned one flat at a time but which way?
many thanks,
Dave.

acetomatoco

Gee Dave, on a M54 all you have to do is turn the idle mixture screws in the carb to set the fuel mixture, the high speed jets are fixed.. But I imagine you must be talking of Multifuel engines of the LDS variety in M54A2s although some M54s were converted to MF by NG and AR outfits....Those engines smoke a lot until they are hot and working hard...There is a wonderful book on setting up those pumps somewhere in the system.. Called "trouble shooting manual...LDS-465-1 Multifuel Engine... I would imagine you could get one from Portrayal Press.

Dave Wigham

Woops, sorry, should have said, M54/A2. Say does turning the pump down have much affect on smoke out put?
Cheers,
dave

Dave Wigham

Many thanks for the pointing me in the right direction. I turned the pump back down 1 complete 365 degrees before it made any appreciable difference, still pulls great but now far less smoke. The previous owner had obviuosly gone overboard!
Cheers,
Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks