• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54 home

Radicalexpress

70 miles in my first 5 ton was an interesting trip to new batteries little bit of fluids no hiccups the speedo cable leaking a little bit of oil out of the transfer case looks like it had some backyard mechanic and unto it pictures to follow

20160610_132150.jpg20160610_132145.jpg20160610_164853.jpg20160610_134658.jpgIMG951221.jpg

Radicalexpress

Any info on how to get a little more grunt out of the top and would be great she's kind of sluggish at about 45 climbing Hills I know a decent Mac mechanic around here but I like to work on my own stuff greatly appreciated

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your M54 is a Multifuel you can turn up the fuel a bit with the IP to give you a little more power but dont expect miracles because your not going to get any! Also keep in mind this "MODIFICATION" to the engine is also going to greatly increase your potential of some very bad problems in the future, you would after this MOD want a Pyrometer so you can keep a close eye on your Exhaust gas temp which will then be controlled by the drivers right foot, stay in the throttle to long and you just burnt down your engine, that means DESTROYED! In looking at your pics it looks like YOU will NOT be the only person driving this truck, turning up the fuel in a truck with multiple drivers and each having different experience levels with these engines is a very good potential for some very serious problems!! These trucks were designed and built to accommodate vastly differing levels of experienced drivers and still live, that is a safety factor your removing! In my opinion I would say that YOU GOT WHAT YOU GOT, and leave well enough alone, if you disagree that is fine also but I will say good luck! Nice looking truck also!
Karl

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck! Welcome to the "club" of military vehicle owners. They did a really nice job of detailing the paint on it. Enjoy! I see a lot of vehicles that were converted by some fire department and think "I wish they hadn't done that" but now I see the altered ones as a history of the service these vehicles served in civilian life. Just like the trend now is to show classic cars in the "as found" condition rather than restore them to better than factory new as has been the custom for years. "As found" is rare because of everyone restoring them to original so much. So, if you decide to keep it as-is for that kind of history, you definitely have one of the best examples I have seen.
All of our multifuel trucks are turned up and we have had no problems with any of them but my son and I are experienced truck, farm and construction equipment operators. On all of them it did make a difference.
Regards Martin

I would try changing the filters first. Those Macks usually run pretty good but it's still a 55 mph truck.
I agree the fuel filter can cut your power. We picked up our tractor just before you picked up your truck we made it to New Hampshire before we had to change the fuel filter, it made all the difference, a lot more power. the filter only had two thousand miles on it but it was six years old.

Radicalexpress

I have done all the of my work on my Cummins I've done 50 plus injectors all fluids and maintenance and stuff like that I've swapped the tranny out because it's an automatic for a built one finally so I'm pretty mechanically inclined but sadly it's a 24 valve that is all computer-based so I'm not super familiar with injection pumps and how to turn them up on these old mechanical trucks but I'll keep my eyes open if anybody has any links to some good well detailed posts that would be awesome

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it has set for along time be sure to put some algae remover in the fuel or you will possibly keep plugging filters.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks